Protoype Parka M43-48 ? advice needed please

Undertoker

Hi guys

i picked this up on my travels and i wondered what exactly it is

It seems like a hybrid of a M-43 pullover parka, but with a lot of M-48 Features

it has wool lined pockets, a sleeve pocket and the liner is very unique

take a look and please give me your thoughts

xuzsc5T.jpg

5Ty0Sst.jpg

hwgUDjB.jpg

AzVq7ao.jpg

raYiZWy.jpg

DEUMBET.jpg

oiqQhAF.jpg

OyRDpy1.jpg

y24cgOW.jpg

UR1k9DF.jpg

looks like your photo did not survive the the trip from the UK to our server.

ive retried it bud

have another look

i think its a pre EX-48 parka

a prototype of the EX48 series and the forerunner to the legendary M-48

the similarities to an ex-48 and an m-1948 are amazing.

I think this is literally a pre production sample, just before they ran off the EX-48s as they developed it from the M-43 pullover parkas

the quality is amazing and when you wear it, its literally just like wearing an M48, its also very similar to my EX48 as well in many aspects

im hoping someone will confirm that and also be able to give me some more info on this special parka

From looking at those pictures I would say this is a converted Parka OD Field. EX-48 is a special fiberglass lined item.This one here has none of that. I own a parka that was converted from your point into an M-1948 type.Now the question discussed then in 2009 was if those where done before or just after M-1948 was introduced. All QM done.The liner buttons and the early type Talon zipper.Mine has no cigarette pocket!

Look this pictures. Nice shape indeed!

I asked the QM offices that sent me the EX files if there was something in between of M-1947 and M-1948 or M-1943 cold weather items and they said no.So if no special QM tag present I would say field or unit modification.

post-1820-0-12572300-1377516761.jpg

post-1820-0-78157300-1377516812.jpg

Sadly the small white label had no writing left on it

All I could make out was "M" possibly just for sizing

Thanks for all your input guys, it is appreciated

The sleeve pocket is exactly the same shade as the sleeve, so it must have been done from new.

When I look inside the sleeve pocket I can see the bright original OD color inside on the sleeve.

So I'd say its been done from day one.

Also the quality of the work is so good, I just couldn't see it bein done anywhere outside the QM depot in honesty. It is utterly perfect in the stitching etc.

The zip in the sleeve pocket is also a talon zipper

I own an m43 and an ex-48 and M-48 as well and this is very different in the neck than the m-43 and also the way it feels wearing it.

The whole cut of it feels different to the M-43 and the pockets being lined as well just like an m-51, very well done again

If you closed your eyes you really would think your wearing an M-48 , everything about it feels and looks like an m-48

It's a strange kettle of fish for sure, but one that I'm very glad to have.

I'd be happy to hear any other input or thoughts guys

My converted parka came with an faded M-1948 liner. that fits perfect.Of interest in yours is that the hood can be zipclosed and not buttoned up.Nice detail done there. Can you make a pic of the size tag seen on the inner pile and the cigarettes pocket?

Ill do both tonight bud

A close up of the cigarette pocket and also the little white label

I'm out at the moment, but ill do it tonight

Thanks for your help on this bud

It's a nice parka ;)

In my personal opinion after dealing with post war cold weather items this parka looks like a modification of an Parka OD pile.Well done but its not an QM design undertoker. Dont feel ofended.Its only my opinion.As been based in the UK this could also be a "MOD" item. The stichting on the frontal area where the zipper is located is not straitght as seen on QM machines.The pocket looks to have a civilian zipper.Also the color of the zipper thread diferes.And its not the full length of the pocket.The original liner tag is present indicating what this actually is.The shape of the hood looks like an M-1948 one.

As said its my opinion.No QM tag is present saying its an prototype or modification.

And its a very nice item to wear i am shure!

Here an M-1948 cigarette pocket for comparison.

Karl

post-1820-0-09252400-1377645133.jpg

The only thing I can't understand about it is the pocket must have been put on from day one mate, the color of the sleeve inside is literally brand new sateen cotton. The talon zip is steel teeth and I've seen m48s with the same zippers in the sleeve pockets

Also the neck isn't a conversion, it's a totally different design.

There are no button holes where button holes ought to be if it was a conversion and it isn't a replacement panel that's been put into the neck, it's original. There should be button holes in it, there isn't.

I have an unissued m43 parka, I'll lay the two out side by side later and take a few pics show you what I mean.

Who knows what it is, it's old and I guess there will always be a bit of mystery on this one.

• 1 year later...

To revive an old thread

I have managed to pick up a stitch for stitch identical parka

It it totally mint and totally the same, the sleeve pocket is exactly the same and uses the same zipper and thread.

The hood rim etc again is identical and even the wool lining is in the big front pocket again identical.

It's totally identical in every way

It made me very happy because this confirms it is clearly a prototype parka and not a "one off" parka that's just been converted.

Some of the features on it clearly carried over into the later m-1948 and m-51 parkas

With this in mind I've written into the QM museum to try and find out a bit more about this model

If and when any info appears back I'll post it

• 3 years later...

Posted Image

Who owns this fan boy site ?

I wonder

I must ask permission to post this .....

Nah I don’t think so

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...