Show us your local issue Mexican Border Service medals

arclight

I know there are several very well done publications that cover this topic, but there are always variations and such that are sometimes missing. Additionally, there are many here that may be interested, but don't have access to those references. Please share your examples, and also any engraved Federal examples. I for one would very much enjoy seeing them!

Thanks,

G

MilitaryWired

Here are a just a few that I have readily available... there are many more in my collection. The Darlington one is by far my favorite.

Darlington, South Carolina:

Darlington-South-Carolina-Mexican-Border

Akron Ohio:

Akron-Ohio-Mexican-Border-Service-Medal.

Boston, Massachusetts:

Boston-Massachusetts-Mexican-Border-Serv

Louisville, Kentucky:

Louisville-Kentucky-Mexican-Border-Servi

Milwaukee, Wisconsin:

Milwaukee-Wisconsin-Mexican-Border-Servi

Mobile, Alabama:

Mobile-Alabama-Mexican-Border-Service-Me

collectsmedals

Here is a small named Mexican Border Service group in my collection. It includes the Federal Medal, the New York State Medal and a Medal from Syracuse New York.

post-294-0-54542900-1377462047.jpg

Wow! Those are some particularly beautiful examples.

I especially like the Darlington example, too!

Collectsmedals, that is a great grouping! Is it attributed?

Thanks,

G

Great examples guys so it looks like many of them had the same pendant that's interesting even more so as they are worn two different ways

This bar mounted group includes the New York Mexican Border Service Medal. The federal MBSM traces by number to Harold Jensen who served on the border as a corporal in 1st NY field artillery. This unit later became the 104th FA of the 27th Division. I don’t know why Jensen mounted the medals in this order. The two federal medals should go first and the two NY state medals last.

post-10651-0-64196800-1377564739.jpg

Here’s a neat photo that I found online of a NY soldier wearing the Brooklyn Mexican Border Service Medal. Unfortunately this soldier is unidentified.

post-10651-0-62464100-1377564829.jpg

post-10651-0-58462000-1377564838.jpg

This MBSM is engraved on the obverse with the unit and on the reverse with the recipient’s name.

post-10651-0-75562600-1377564887.jpg

Adam, I love the engraving on that medal! I have yet to find an affordable example for my collection yet, so I will content myself with looking at yours.

MW, that's actually a good looking Brooklyn Medal to elaborate on Adam's photo! I had not seen that kind previously.

Thanks for posting!

G

collectsmedals

Wow! Those are some particularly beautiful examples.

I especially like the Darlington example, too!

Collectsmedals, that is a great grouping! Is it attributed?

Thanks,

G

Yes, the grouping is attributed. The Mexican Border Service medal is numbered in the traceable range and shows as having been awarded to a person in the Dental Corps / Transportation Corps from Syracuse NY, which matches with the other medals in the group. I also have a copy of a newspaper clipping listing him as being appointed as a litter bearer in the Fourth Ambulance Company of the National Guard of New York.