Civil War? C.S.A. Button, help needed

I picked this up in a lot with other military items. I have tried researching it and what I have found is all over. From Civil War Era, just post Civil War, right up until last week. It seems the more modern ones are marked on the back "Waterbury Button Co. Conn.". The example I have does not have the "Conn." It is about 5/8" in diameter. Thanks in advance.

I am no expert and know very little about these,but they looks like the buttons that come on my reenacting jackets.They are the genetic buttons that the company puts on the jackets .I have some in storage some were took then all of my jacket and but I buttons on ,will have to see if i can find them see were they are made.

David

I don't think Connecticutt Yankees up in Waterbury were making buttons for the Confederate Army during the war :D

Ther lies one of the inconsistancies. One description I found stated that they Left the "Conn" off the buttons so that they could be shipped to England, then blocade runners would take them to the South. Appearing to be British made. Business is business, so to speak. It is curious, the stories that come up around some items....

Ther lies one of the inconsistancies. One description I found stated that they Left the "Conn" off the buttons so that they could be shipped to England, then blocade runners would take them to the South. Appearing to be British made. Business is business, so to speak. It is curious, the stories that come up around some items....

Do you have the artical?

teufelhunde.ret

Waterbury did not manufacture any form of CSA buttons during the Civil War (Ref Warren K. Tice book). The backmark on this button, was used by Waterbury on all their buttons during the period 1870-1900. (Ref McGuinn / Bazelon book)

Waterbury did not manufacture any form of CSA buttons during the Civil War (Ref Warren K. Tice book). The backmark on this button, was used by Waterbury on all their buttons during the period 1870-1900. (Ref McGuinn / Bazelon book)

That's I,m thinking really, if the Waterbury Company did do this during the Civil War, it would tantamount to Treason, and the Government back then didn't suffer Treason Gladly.

teufelhunde.ret

Correct, the overwhelming number of button makers were located in the Southern States, a scattered few from Europe.

Ok guys, That's the kind of expertise I was hoping for!!! Thank you very much. Now I know that the button is from 1870-1900. I appreciate the response!

Best Regards,

-Ed

Correct, the overwhelming number of button makers were located in the Southern States, a scattered few from Europe.

So why do you think the Waterbury Company would make CSA buttons from the 1870s-1900 period when they used this hallmark, for who? Confederate Veterans groups?

So why do you think the Waterbury Company would make CSA buttons from the 1870s-1900 period when they used this hallmark, for who? Confederate Veterans groups?

Correct! Post War reunions etc.

Actually several Northern uniform and boot companies sold supplies to the Confederacy. A small scandal did occur over this. POW's before exchange sent patterns to Northern companies and purchased Confederate uniforms. Also Prisoners who had no extra clothes or wore out their clothes could get issued grey clothing articles from Uncle Abe. They did not want prisoners wearing civilian clothing if they tried escape they could blend in. After the news got out, it was stopped and blue uniforms were issued to prisoners.

I also remember reading about when the cotton for food trade that occurred General Archer, if memory serves, set up shop in New York City as agent for exchange. He went to local shops and had a complete uniform built to replace his worn out set. He walked around New York in Confederate greys!

I often wondered if someone had a Confederate tunic with Boston maker stamps, would people say it was fake?

Paul

Actually several Northern uniform and boot companies sold supplies to the Confederacy. A small scandal did occur over this. POW's before exchange sent patterns to Northern companies and purchased Confederate uniforms. Also Prisoners who had no extra clothes or wore out their clothes could get issued grey clothing articles from Uncle Abe. They did not want prisoners wearing civilian clothing if they tried escape they could blend in. After the news got out, it was stopped and blue uniforms were issued to prisoners.

I also remember reading about when the cotton for food trade that occurred General Archer, if memory serves, set up shop in New York City as agent for exchange. He went to local shops and had a complete uniform built to replace his worn out set. He walked around New York in Confederate greys!

I often wondered if someone had a Confederate tunic with Boston maker stamps, would people say it was fake?

Paul

The plot thickens, as they say....

I picked this up in a lot with other military items. I have tried researching it and what I have found is all over. From Civil War Era, just post Civil War, right up until last week. It seems the more modern ones are marked on the back "Waterbury Button Co. Conn.". The example I have does not have the "Conn." It is about 5/8" in diameter. Thanks in advance.

A note about the Waterbury backmark. Oftentimes with a smaller button (5/8" is a vest or maybe cuff size, a coat size button would be nearer 1" in diameter), part of the company name on the backmark may be left off due to limited space - this could explain "Conn." being left off. I've seen many smaller button examples with abbreviated backmarks.

And, as stated earlier, according to Tice's & Albert's books on buttons, and McGuinn / Bazelon book on backmarks, Waterbury did not make CSA buttons during the Civil War, only after the war, some for veterans, and later as souvenirs (up through recent years).

teufelhunde.ret

A note about the Waterbury backmark. Oftentimes with a smaller button (5/8" is a vest or maybe cuff size, a coat size button would be nearer 1" in diameter), part of the company name on the backmark may be left off due to limited space - this could explain "Conn." being left off. I've seen many smaller button examples with abbreviated backmarks.

Good call, something I overlooked! :huh:

Paul

Which General Archer was this? T

here's seems to be only one General Archer listed as a CSA General. James J. Archer, but he wasn't in NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_J._Archer

Interesting though, the North did trade Cotton for food, but it was a Government sanctioned plan.

A excellent page on this.

http://www.thebhc.org/publications/BEHprint/v028n2/p0301-p0312.pdf

• 9 months later...
DesertRatTom

You might try the Quater Master Museum in VA. They may be able to resolve contract issues, companies and issue times.

• 2 weeks later...
4th Miss Cav

Hortsman, in Philadelphia, was another button manufacturer who made buttons for the south through 1861. It was found out and put a stop to as well.