1918 contract field desk.

Dr_rambow

I was very excited to bid on this; I thought it would be perfect for a display I was putting together. More excited for it then the rest of the nice stuff up for sale in the auction.

It appeared to be complete, plus it had a contract number and a dated inspection stamp to boot.

The auction was going on while I was at work; I was watching the lots tick by while patiently waiting for this to come up. As fate would have it, as this lot drew near, I had to take a phone call from a customer! Not to worry, I thought, I had left a absentee bid that should be sufficient.

When I look too see how I did, I see a "sold for" at exactly my absentee bid. As it turns out, someone on the floor must have bid the same amount (in which case they usually take precedence).

I was very disappointed, but then again, I don't know much about these things nor have I seen many before.

Is there any information on these desks? I see WWII and later versions frequently, but not WWI era desks.

My bid was a shot in the dark, does anyone have any idea what these usually go for (I'll either be relived or kicking myself based on my failed bid).

At the very least, we'll get to see some neat pictures.

19497304_1_l.jpg

19497304_3_l.jpg

19497304_4_l.jpg

19497304_6_l.jpg

RustyCanteen

I don't have a lot of information on these desks, they just aren't something I ever looked into researching.

This is one that was posted earlier this year (on USMF):

I have no idea on a current selling price, I have seen desks in varying conditions ranging from poor to good being sold for everywhere from $100-400+. They make neat displays, but are also heavy and bulky which can affect a shipping quote.

That being the case, I think I had a reasonable bid. I really enjoy the "accessories" that go with the standard WWI fare (uniforms, equipment, etc) and I find that the more personable things like this really bring a display to life, especially when doing something for the public. I have a lot of paper items (field and technical manuals plus miscellaneous paperwork), so one of these would be the perfect catalyst for displaying those kinds of items.

I'll keep an eye out for them in the future, but if anyone here has one they are looking to unload, I'm your guy ;)

• 5 months later...