RDUNE

Bag full of ribbons & patches at the flea market

Went to the flea market yesterday and my only score was a bag full of ribbons and a couple of patches. I really didnt look closely at it when I bought it, and when I got home and dumped it out, here is what I had:

xp58.jpg

Most of the ribbons I have identified, others I am still working on (mainly the 2nd, 3rd and 4th from the left in the rolls of ribbon).

There are also a few pieces I have had no luck figuring out:

zl0o.JPG

Backs:

piyr.jpg

The medal on the right was not in the bag, but was mixed in with other medals in a box, all of which were missing their ribbons. I hadnt seen this one before so I took a shot on it. As for the wings and seahorse patch, I havent got a clue, I practially wore google out yesterday trying to identify them. Any help would be appreciated.

-Ryan

Looking for Purple Hearts to service members from Roanoke Virginia and the surrounding area (Bedford, Botetourt, Vinton, Salem, Floyd, Franklin, Craig, Giles, etc.)

I'm willing to pay a premium. $$$

Also looking for:

Purple Hearts named to service members buried in the Normandy Cemetery or Arlington Cemetery.

Dog tags named to service members from Virginia.

donation2012.gifdonation2016.gif

The ribbon rolls that you have are very nice.

The ribbon roll in the very center is for the Berlin Air lift.

Leigh

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

You might want to try the CAP for some of the ribbons, they have some unsusal ones ...........................

NICE score! That's some beautiful ribbon material that all looks like it's from the 50s and 60s (if not earlier!) I'd be interested in some of it if you ever want to let it go!

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Great find.The roll next to the Medal For Humane Service (Berlin Airlift) looks to be the POW medal ribbon.The roll to the left looks like the Medal Of Freedom?

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

The ribbon left of the Berlin airlift is the Washington National Guard Achievement. (#3 from the left) See post #18:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/171408-images-of-ribbons-that-people-ask-to-identify-often/

To the left of that is the WWI St. Mihiel medal. (#2 from the left)

The rest, I believe, are fairly easy to ID if you don't already know 'em.

Nice finds...I sent you a PM as well!

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

Interested in buying identified or re-searchable Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals and more.

Nice find never ever find that sort of stuff up here...

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Call me stupid but what is the seahorse imposed on the ship's wheel? I have a similar type of insignia for the Army Transportation Corps and I thought the seahorse might be a sub-variant, but it's not.

post-124172-0-99716200-1377545159.jpg

"The history of gunfighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William (Bill) H. Jordan, 1965

North Coast Military Antiques

https://northcoastmilitaryantiques.com

"preserving history, one piece at a time"

Kids patch?

Now I feel real stupid. What's a kids patch? :unsure:

"The history of gunfighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William (Bill) H. Jordan, 1965

Now I feel real stupid. What's a kids patch? :unsure:

I'm not sure if it is but doesn't look U.S. military.Could also be a generic patch for boaters? Just looks like the same material and stitching on the crossed anchor and wheel seen on nautical hats, like the skipper.

tve7238-19650916-136.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

I'm not sure if it is but doesn't look U.S. military.Could also be a generic patch for boaters? Just looks like the same material and stitching on the crossed anchor and wheel seen on nautical hats, like the skipper.

Gotcha......makes sense to me. :)

Thanks for the help with ribbon identification guys :)

As for the seahorse patch, I didnt have a good feeling about it being a military patch, and since someone mentioned it, it does look like something that would be on one of the generic white boater/captain hats.

Looking for Purple Hearts to service members from Roanoke Virginia and the surrounding area (Bedford, Botetourt, Vinton, Salem, Floyd, Franklin, Craig, Giles, etc.)

I'm willing to pay a premium. $$$

Also looking for:

Purple Hearts named to service members buried in the Normandy Cemetery or Arlington Cemetery.

Dog tags named to service members from Virginia.

donation2012.gifdonation2016.gif

I thought Army Transportation Branch insignia. Just a variant.

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

I thought Army Transportation Branch insignia. Just a variant.

So did I, perhaps water / sea transport. But I can't find any reference to it.

So did I, perhaps water / sea transport. But I can't find any reference to it.

It could be.To me it looks like one of those nautical patches.The material, from the pic, looks to be that fuzzy type stuff.

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

It's hard to tell on my phone. But the first facing picture looks like fuzzy material. And the second looks like regular uniform / light canvas material. I sure would like to get this locked down for sure. If it is Army it opens up a whole new can of worms. I'm gonna crop the photo and post it in the patch / insignia category and see what those guys think.

It's actually a winged wheel. Lapel insignia for a Transportation Agent in the Army Transport Service. If you have a copy of the National Geographic insignia booklet from 1944 it's shown on page 112. Al

Call me stupid but what is the seahorse imposed on the ship's wheel? I have a similar type of insignia for the Army Transportation Corps and I thought the seahorse might be a sub-variant, but it's not.

attachicon.gif$T2eC16JHJIkFHR1pDJJZBSCpujz9eg~~60_57.JPG

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2018.gif

It's actually a winged wheel. Lapel insignia for a Transportation Agent in the Army Transport Service. If you have a copy of the National Geographic insignia booklet from 1944 it's shown on page 112. Al

Right, I know the winged wheel. The image posted is mine. I want to nail down the first image of the seahorse imposed on the wheel posted by RDUNE.

Thanks for the heads-up on the National Geographic. I wasn't aware of it. Now I am and I just added it to my reference library courtesy of e-bay.

Scott

Great Find on the ribbons !!! Blue Skies Mark

In Memory of Air Corps Technical Sergeant Carl F. Durfee. He died of wounds on 30 December 1944 while serving in the South Pacific. You are not forgotten.

ASMIC member

American Legion member

US Air Force & Air National Guard TAC - MAC

JOHN N. DANIELS ---152nd COMPANY C New York State Infantry--- captured 1864 survivor of Andersonville ---- Great-Great-Great Uncle

Captain Robert L. Hosler, 522nd Fighter/Bomber Sq. 12th Army Air Corp. World War Two P47 Pilot - 1 DFC- 5 Air Medal & 0ne Purple Heart---Uncle

1st Sgt Ann Barry, US Army Air Corp WAC World War Two --ETO --- Aunt

Sgt Willam M. Barry, USMC----Pacific World War Two--Father

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I think I see some Navy Cross fabric in there. Very nice!

Interested in items related to:

-Amarillo A.A.F. / Amarillo Air Force Base

-Military instillations located in the Texas Panhandle, South Plains, and West Texas.

-"F" Company, 142nd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division (Texas National Guard)

-413th Civil Affairs Battalion (USAR)

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

In Memoriam:

CSM Juan H. Hernandez - U.S. Army WWII, Korea, Vietnam

RM1c William C. Denney - U.S.S. McDermut (DD-677) Korea

attachicon.gif$T2eC16JHJIkFHR1pDJJZBSCpujz9eg~~60_57.JPG

ATC? The Army's Navy

Keith

And I supposed I should read further..

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif
donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif
image.gif.786d802d1cfeaf3c37ee5df20e839243.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.