Latest M1 carbine

doyler

After Brians post on the carbine he scored I guess his luck rubbed off on me.

Hit a small show after work today.Met a real nice older man and his wife who were set up selling a few things.Spotted this on the table and continued looking around.Decided to go back and look it over before leaving and make a offer as well.We agreed to a price and I paid the man.I then asked him if he had been the original owner/buyer of the carbine and if it were purchased from the DCM years ago.He said no he had bought this from an old "army man" who he had as a neighbor many years ago.Didnt get much more information from him but it seemed plausible.THe man I purchased this from was in his early 80s(or appeared so).He wasnt the type to be working me to buy the carbine and further stated he liked my offer and it was time to let another enjoy it as he had.

Not an expert on these at all but it has a nice overall look to it.I have to admit I never even looked at the bore.Since it was an Inland I was thinking if nothing else I could use it for trade or move it along at a later date.By the time I got home after a 85 minute drive I had convinced myself to look it over closer and to keep it.

I didnt even see the cracked wood below the reciever on the side at the show.Looking closer the crack has been there a very long time as I see no fresh wood or break.Really doesnt bother me and adds to the look.Doing a quick look at some of the parts on the carbine and comparing to the plates in Harrisons guide(only refferance I have)I may have gotten a late war configured carbine.

Its an Inland, 5million plus serial number.Barrell is dated 7-44 and P marked mid way between band and front site.Site is marked N.Barrel band is PI in a small triangle.No bayonet lug and listed as a "type B" in the guide.Rear site is also marked PI and is listed as used in late configuration Inlands..So far its all falling into the plate Harrison lists as the Model 1944 carbine.Wood is marked IO in the well and has the Ordnance cartouche only on the right side.No P marking on the underside for a rebuild.Mag release is M marked.Bolt is round and states in the guide these were used in later 1944 or a mix of round or flat could be encountered after June(?) of 1944.THe sling came on it as well and you can see where the metal on the back of the lift the dot snap has worn into the wood.Also there is a crease in the webb sling where the buckle had set in place for years and left an impression.Also looks like a bit of cosmoline residue in the site adjustment that wasnt cleaned out completely.THen looking at the band and the band spring I see other bits of grime and residue.I really dont think this has been apart in years.Looking at the end of the muzzle I see there is a bit of grunge accumulated there as well.The carbine came as seen and has a BW marked mag with it.I understand the BW mags were mainly for Winchesters and have seen them bring a small fortune at times on line.

As I said Im no expert and I welcome any insights or advice.So far Im pretyy darned happy with it.So here it is.Good...Bad...Or other wise shes here to stay.Maybe it would work well for a late war Marine/Corpsman impression.

post-342-0-86903600-1377323516.jpg

post-342-0-42467100-1377323582.jpg

post-342-0-42467100-1377323582.jpg

Nice looking rifle so far. Can you get a picture of the overall rifle, left and right sides? It appears to have a KW pot belly stock. Can you also get a picture straight down on the receiver and bolt.

Looks really good! So far I'm seeing everything correct. I don't think it's a potbelly stock as potbelly stocks will have the M2 full auto cut out on the left hand of the receiver. Which I'm not seeing on this one. But everything is looking correct to me for the serial. Type II sight and band and all the small parts. Plus it has it's original finish and the round bolt is still blued. It has a nice Inland large wheel crossed cannot cartouche and is marked IO in the slingwell for Overton which made Inland stocks.

I really like it!! I'm not seeing anything wrong at all.

Now check this and this will tell you a lot. Some fakers will take a type III band with bayonet lug and cut off the actual bayonet part and make it into a type II band. The way you can tell this is to look at the front of the band. I'm not sure how to explain this, but there are two layers of metal at the top of the barrel. If both layers of metal are even and the same length, it is cut off and fake. The bottom piece of metal should be recessed a little bit if it is real.

Here is a pic and hopefully my pic will show it better than I can describe it. But Doyer I'm really liking this one. If the band is real, and all the internal parts are the correct markings, I think you got an original carbine! And probably worth a lot more than what you paid for it! What a great find!

P1130530_zps75eb8811.jpg

By the way even the sling looks like an original C type WWII carbine sling. The way you can tell a fake is took at the way the C tip is folded, and also the inside of the snap. Which from what I can see of it, it looks good. If you take the oiler out, I would bet the bottom is marked IS.

I think you honestly found one that is a bring back.

By the way even the sling looks like an original C type WWII carbine sling. The way you can tell a fake is took at the way the C tip is folded, and also the inside of the snap. Which from what I can see of it, it looks good. If you take the oiler out, I would bet the bottom is marked IS.

I think you honestly found one that is a bring back.

No markings on the oiler

THanks for the insight.Sling is a period one for sure.

post-342-0-22193600-1377480327.jpg