Civil War Navy veterans organization

Bob Hudson

Ever heard of the FLYING SQUADRON OF NAVAL VETERANS?

Someone who came to my flea market booth told me his ancestor served in the Navy in the Civil War and later belonged to the "Flying Squadron."

Here's what he said about his great-great-grandfather, "George Graham, an immigrant from Ireland who served during the Civil War. I'm not sure if he was drafted or volunteered for Navy service or exactly when. He lived in Brooklyn NY. The carbine he was issued in the picture was one of the first repeating rifles. Although cumbersome it beat the musket ball one-at-a-time-and-then-reload though. He sailed on the J C Kuhn, a tender in the fleet of Admiral Farragut and saw combat in the battle of Mobile."

He sent me a scan of the group's certificate. It's a small scan so I had to enlarge it to make it readable (and display the enlarged sections in two sections to fit the forum page width.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I believe that at some point the name was changed from "Flying Squadron of Naval Veterans" to "Farragut Squadron of Naval Veterans." In newspaper articles into the early 20th century it seems to be referred to as just the "squadron of naval veterans."

No matter, there is not much out there about. I did some google and paid newspaper archive searches and this is what I have found so far:

sq1.jpg

sq2.jpg

sq3.jpg

sq4.jpg

Spencer?

Yep, pretty cool to have your ancestor's CW photo, rare certificate AND his Spencer!

I discovered that the online info for Civil War Union Navy vets falls far short of what's available for the Union and Confederate Army vets, so I haven't been able to find anything that would add to the knowledge of this guy.

RustyCanteen

Yep, pretty cool to have your ancestor's CW photo, rare certificate AND his Spencer!

I discovered that the online info for Civil War Union Navy vets falls far short of what's available for the Union and Confederate Army vets, so I haven't been able to find anything that would add to the knowledge of this guy.

Yeah, I think most people would just be happy to have a picture, but to have all three is like WOW.