A Different WWI Dallas Wing - Eisenstadt Eagle LE marked

daniel griffin

daniel griffin

This wing measures 3 3/4", drop-in locking catch, missing its pin. 3 piece silver wing and shield finely mounted on a silver plate. Reverse stamped "Eagle Le" (over) "Sterling".

Has anyone encountered such a wing?

aa4.jpg

aa4a.jpg

A similar one sold on ebay two weeks ago (August 11th). See ebay item #271252585184. With identical Eisenstadt Co. hallmark. Here's a couple of images from that listing.

$T2eC16h,!yME9s5qJGKmBR+q14Rb)w~~60_581.jpg

$T2eC16JHJF8FFqIYGWqQBR+q2G4gNQ~~60_581.jpg

Yes, I have seen a few of these. I believe one like this was also sold out of the Duncan Campbell collection a few years ago. These are a different manufacturing variation of the more common Eisenstadt Dallas wings.

Patrick

Patrick,

Depending on the reference angle that the camera was held when Daniel took the picture of his badge, it may be that Terry Morris has a similar badge posted on the website maintained by Bob Schultz.

See: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/wwi/us/us.shtml

Terry, do you have any thoughts you would like to share on the badge posted by Daniel?

Cliff

post-4542-0-71012000-1377379142.jpg

Patrick,

Depending on the reference angle that the camera was held when Daniel took the picture of his badge, it may be that Terry Morris has a similar badge posted on the website maintained by Bob Schultz.

See: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/wwi/us/us.shtml

Terry, do you have any thoughts you would like to share on the badge posted by Daniel?

Cliff

Cliff/Daniel

I don't have this style but I did get a chance to look at the one Duncan had and it was the same as this except the back plate was painted black beneath the wing and shield. I bet if you look real close you will see some traces of black paint under the wings edge. Looks like it has been stripped and polished. A very unique wing to be sure.

Terry

daniel griffin

Very interesting, thanks for the information. There is no trace of black paint, but of course that doesn't mean that it wasn't once painted.

Thank you Terry,

Then the badge pictured below is the very same one you saw that was owned by Duncan. It is also pictured in his book on page 17, number 27. He always said it was attributed to Eisenstadt.

Cliff ;)

post-4542-0-88304800-1377390494.jpg