OIF USMC Helmets

History Man

These came in the group I have to the WIA USMC serviceman who served during the early days of OIF. He received the Bronze Star and 2 Purple Hearts.

I believe the first helmet is the one he wore during his deployment/tour. The second one being the helmet he was issued during the last part of his service.

Philip

post-25965-0-84284100-1377299831.jpg

post-25965-0-13514200-1377299837.jpg

BelligerentBlue

He had to have paid out the butt to keep those things. If you didn't turn in all your gear, they were having you pay out of pocket. They messed up the paperwork for my Etool. I had one to turn it, but it wasn't the "right" one. I had to pay a stupid amount for it even thought I had one.

BelligerentBlue

"Combat Loss" involves a bunch of stupid paperwork, and them asking you if you want to pay the government back for it.... HA, let me jump on that.

Wow, times sure have changed in Marine Supply. When I turned in my 782 gear in 1996, we could replace (some of) our missing gear from surplus stores. All it needed was the DLA contract number and it was a legal turn in. Most of the supply guys turned a blind eye as long as it was military issue at one point. This saved a lot of money for the troops as a replacement poncho liner was about $60 from supply or (at the time) $10 from a surplus store. At MCAS Beaufort, the items in the surplus stores were generally in better condition than the VN leftovers we were issued!

I could never figure out why they issued us "wingers" 782 gear anyway. We only used the web belts, ammo pouches, and gas masks once a year. I will say that the ALICE packs were extremely handy (and usually the one item that no one turned in).

Swing with the wing!!!!