OIF USMC WIA Group

History Man

I can answer the ICM question. He served prior to 30 April 2005 when the GWOTEM was no longer authorized for Iraq service. So if he only completed one tour, after that date he would have to choose between the GWOTEM and the ICM but could not wear both for the same tour of duty. There is also no campaign stars authorized on the GWOTEM.

I too would be interested to hear what the AAM was awarded for.

This is why I love this forum you learn something new everyday Thanks B)

Those pictures bring back fond memories. It looks like Pendleton in the pics. I humped those mountains more times than I care to ever remember. :)

It came from his immediate family, his girlfriend just didn't want to have it packed away any longer.

He should have sent her packing instead!

He should have sent her packing instead!

I'm sorry, but girlfriends hold that much clout with me,aybe not even wives!

Very nice group Phillip, it's worth opening a new era of collecting, keep it! :)

Thank you for the responses.

I should clarify something, both the girlfriend and the veteran decided to let go of the items.

Also, the cased Purple Heart was given to the girlfriend by the veteran because he accidentally got "too rough" during a game they were playing...an interesting joke.

Philip

The Army Achievement Medal can be awarded to any member of the U.S. Military. This Marine may have served with or along side an Army element that wanted to recognize his contribution to their mission. During OIF, there was almost always a mix of Marine and Army units operating in Anbar province. The 2nd BCT of the 2nd ID was actually under the control of the the 1st Marine Division during its first deployment. This is why you see Army Soldiers authorized to wear the 1st and 2nd Marine Division patches as their "combat" patch.