OIF USMC WIA Group

History Man

Modern militaria is not in my collecting spectrum but recently, I was able to acquire this group to a USMC service member. He served during the first part of OIF and was wounded in Fallujah where I believe he earned the Bronze Star w/ V device.

The group consists of: 2 of his helmets (one he wore extensively overseas and the other was used slightly but towards the end of his service), his anodized medal bar, and multiple photos (taken stateside and overseas).

Let me know what you think.

Philip

post-25965-0-63340000-1377297262.jpg

post-25965-0-26647500-1377297744.jpg

His medals.

He received his first Purple Heart for a gunshot wound to the back, the second one was received for a gunshot wound to the face in Fallujah.

post-25965-0-02997700-1377297660.jpg

Direct from the vet?

It came from his immediate family, his girlfriend just didn't want to have it packed away any longer.

Philip

I don't "do" modern groups, but that's a fantastic one, particularly considering he was a relatively junior Marine receiving the BSM w/V. Got a lot of respect for what he went through...my hat's off to him.

I don't "do" modern groups, but that's a fantastic one, particularly considering he was a relatively junior Marine receiving the BSM w/V. Got a lot of respect for what he went through...my hat's off to him.

Agreed, especially with what I have heard from Marines about the stringent awards process. I like the Army Achievement Medal in there...just spiffs it up a bit :)

Great group Philip Two quick questions

- whats the story on the Army medal

- why isn't there an Iraqi campaign medal

Great group Philip Two quick questions

- whats the story on the Army medal

- why isn't there an Iraqi campaign medal

I can answer the ICM question. He served prior to 30 April 2005 when the GWOTEM was no longer authorized for Iraq service. So if he only completed one tour, after that date he would have to choose between the GWOTEM and the ICM but could not wear both for the same tour of duty. There is also no campaign stars authorized on the GWOTEM.

I too would be interested to hear what the AAM was awarded for.

I will have to check with the family to see if they can shed some light on the AAM, I will also see if they can tell me how he received the Bronze Star.

Thank you for the kind responses.

Philip