Command Sergeant Major

Sbas

Hello there,

Can someone tell me how many Command Sergeant Majors are serving in a Airborne Infantry Division (82nd)?

I know there not too many in a division, and that they are the highest NCO rank in a division.

Im asking because I bought a CSM DCU from the 82nd AB DIV.

Thanks,

Sebas

Hello there,

Can someone tell me how many Command Sergeant Majors are serving in a Airborne Infantry Division (82nd)?

I know there not too many in a division, and that they are the highest NCO rank in a division.

Im asking because I bought a CSM DCU from the 82nd AB DIV.

Thanks,

Sebas

I don't know. But, I did find this information:

COMMAND SERGEANT MAJOR (CSM)

(Addressed as " Command Sergeant Major")

Functioning without supervision, a CSM’s counsel is expected to be calm, settled and accurate—with unflagging enthusiasm. Supplies recommendations to the commander and staff, and carries out policies and standards on the performance, training, appearance and conduct of enlisted personnel. Assists Officers at the brigade level (3,000 to 5,000 Soldiers).

What name does it have on it? I collect 82nd stuff.

Andrew

An exact number I do not have, but there is one CSM per Battalion, Squadron, Brigade, Regiment also the Fires (Brigade), Sustainment (Battalion), Aviation (Brigade) and of course the Division CSM. I listed Fires, Aviation and Sustainment because some times you see them without the Brigade or Battalion designation on lists, charts etc. Check the site below for an idea of the current units. Depending on the age of the uniform some units have changed.

http://www.bragg.army.mil/82dv/default.htm

Its an OIF DCU...the name tape is missing but it has an expert paratrooper badge. And the 82nd patch on both arms!

Thanks, Sebas

• 2 weeks later...

There is

1 Division Command Sergeant Major

a Command Sergeant Major for all Maneuver Brigades, Division Artillery, Aviation Brigade, Engineer Brigade and Division Support Command

and all Battalions that with a brigade or other unit listed above and also seperate battalion Air Defense Artillery, Signal, Military Intelligence and some times Engineer

Some division have had a single engineer battalion as opposed to engineer brigade

Until the Brigade Combat Teams

each Maneuver Brigade would have 3 battalions

10st Airborne had 2 aviation brigades and 9 battalions

10th Mountain Divison only had 2 Brigades

Hope this helps

Doug Tschopp

Army Veteran 1986-1994

[email protected]