LT COLONEL ROBERT INGALL GROUPING - ALASKAN CANADIAN ROAD

chris3bs

LT. COLONEL ROBERT INGALL HAD THE RESPONSIBILITY OF CONSTRUCTING ALOT OF ROAD KNOWN AS THE ALCAN HIGHWAY BETWEEN THE YEARS 1942-1943. PARTIAL LISTING OF THIS GROUPING INCLUDES:

TWO PAIR OF BOOTS, SEVERAL PAIRS OF LEGGINGS, SWAGGER STICK, SCABBARD/ SWORD, HUNDREDS OF CAPTIONED PICTURES SHOWING THE EARLY CONSTRUCTION OF THE ROAD, CERTIFICATES OF RANK ALMOST 1OO YEARS OLD, NUMBERED DSM W/CERTIFICATE, SMALL U.S. 46-STAR FLAG POSSIBLY USED IN CAMP. THERE IS ALOT OF ITEMS NOT MENTIONED. FORTUNATELY THIS WAS ALL KEPT TOGETHER.

CHRIS

post-12449-0-82018200-1377222944.jpg

My Dad was Lt. Col Robert E Ingalls USAF when he retired. Just a shaved tail Lt. in the AAF when Robert D Ingalls was helping build the ALCAN Highway to Alaska. Dad was stationed in Anchorage, Alaska from 1956-59 and we drove the ALCAN back to the US in '59. Quite a coincidence!

Don't you love the smell of that blast of 70+ year old air that hits you when you open it? Or is that just me? :wacko:

Great grouping! Way to go! :D

My Dad was Lt. Col Robert E Ingalls USAF when he retired. Just a shaved tail Lt. in the AAF when Robert D Ingalls was helping build the ALCAN Highway to Alaska. Dad was stationed in Anchorage, Alaska from 1956-59 and we drove the ALCAN back to the US in '59. Quite a coincidence!

Hello

Yes - very much a coincidence. There is still so much I was unable to include everything in the picture.

Thanks for asking

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

That is a coll grouping. Are there any photos of the construction of the road?

Yes - There are 100's of pictures showing construction of the road.

Don't you love the smell of that blast of 70+ year old air that hits you when you open it? Or is that just me? :wacko:

Great grouping! Way to go! :D

I love the smell of a musty basement before I start picking through it so I can relate.

I would always say "mold is money"

Very nice group.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I'm new the forum and just came across this. Very, very nice grouping. I've done a great deal of research on Colonel Ingalls and the regiment he commanded. Here's a photo of him when he was young lieutenant serving in the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn) Military Dept. in the early 1920s. Interestingly, he also served there as the women's basketball coach.

ingalls_api_wbb_team_1924.jpg

Here's another photo of him taken near the end of his career. If anyone would like additional information about Colonel Ingalls and his service record, I'd be glad to provide what I have. 

colonel_ingalls.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any information on where this grouping may have gone to? I'm writing a biography on Colonel Ingalls and a narrative history of the regiment he commanded. Some of the documents listed in this grouping would be very helpful. Any assistance locating it would be greatly appreciated.