History of the Collar Disk

cutiger83

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I really appreciate it.

If anyone has any variations not shown on here please feel free to add pictures.

...Kat

Hello Kat!

Your hard work shows in this great piece! It's comprehensive and easy to follow, the way a reference piece should be. Congratulations on it being pinned!!!

The diligent work in researching, transcription, compiling and editing are commendable, and in fact even enviable. I wish I had such discipline to sit down and do something like this article.

This thread is truly a prime example of what this forum is all about, well done Kat, you should be proud!

Best wishes!! (I wish they still had the two-thumbs up emoticon!)

Joe

Here is a marked and matched pair of type I disks that I was asking about a while back.

Thank you so much for adding your disks. The manufacturer is listed in the book The Collar Disk Story. On Page 34 of book there is a partial list of “American Contractors and Manufacturers of EM insignia.

Henry W Allen Co

American Button Co

American Emblem Co

EA Armstrongs Mfg Co

Art Metal Works

Associated Military Stores

Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co

Bastian Bros Co

VH Blackinton & Co

Charles A Brophy

Demoulin Bros & Co

Dieges & Clust

Dusenbury & Schwab, Inc

Jacob Gminder

The Henderson-Ames Co

Cal Hirsch & Sons Iron & Rail Co

Wm H Horstmann Co

MC Lilley & Co

N S Meyer

Thomas Parry’s Sons Co

B Pasquale Co

Pettibone Bros Mfg Co

BY Pippey Co

Ridabock & Co

The Reib Co

Chas M Robbins

Ronson

HW & I Schwab Co

Scovill Mfg Co

Steele & Johnson Mfg Co

US Specialty Co

Waterbury Button Co

Jacob Reeds & Sons, Inc

No problem. You have done a great job putting all of this together. Do you have any examples of the unclassified WWII collar disks? I have one but it would be a poor example to use. The best way I can describe one is that they are pretty thick and heavy. They are screw back and the "spikes" on the back are conical. They are hallmarked with an intertwined PC. I don't know what manufacturer that is without some research.

. Do you have any examples of the unclassified WWII collar disks? I have one but it would be a poor example to use. The best way I can describe one is that they are pretty thick and heavy. They are screw back and the "spikes" on the back are conical. They are hallmarked with an intertwined PC. I don't know what manufacturer that is without some research.

I don't have one. I would love for you to post pictures of yours.

...Kat

Here are a few pics of the unclassified WWII disk I have. Unfortunately somewhere in its past it was polished and removed the brass plating revealing the copper base metal. Anyways I cleaned it up a little since it is already ruined. Also it is hallmarked with an intertwined PC, which I haven't been able to identify.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hallmark

Posted Image

These are pretty thick and heavy compared to anything else I have in my collection. Note the cone shaped keepers

Posted Image

Here are a few pics of the unclassified WWII disk I have.

I have never seen one like this. I sent a friend a PM to see if he knows about this one.

Hopefully someone else on here will take a look too.

...Kat

I have a link that lists it among the other styles. I'll post it with your permission.

I would LOVE for you to post it!

Thanks...Kat

This is an awesome thread and resource for a new Collar Disk collector such as myself. THANKS for all of your work!

I've been wanting to get “The Collar Disk Story” by Albert Scipio, but I just haven't had the scratch. The average selling price seems to be around $80 to $100. Well yesterday I was poking around the information super highway and found this. https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BKC070. Almost seems to good to be true. But I took a flyer and ordered it. They shipped it today. So we shall see. I'll post my result when it gets here.

Scott

This is an awesome thread and resource for a new Collar Disk collector such as myself. THANKS for all of your work!

I've been wanting to get “The Collar Disk Story” by Albert Scipio, but I just haven't had the scratch. The average selling price seems to be around $80 to $100. Well yesterday I was poking around the information super highway and found this. https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BKC070. Almost seems to good to be true. But I took a flyer and ordered it. They shipped it today. So we shall see. I'll post my result when it gets here.

Scott

Got the book today. Brand spanking new in the wrap. It's freaking awesome, can't put it down. If anyone is looking for this book I highly recommend purchasing from the above seller.

Scott

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Hello Kat and to the rest of the gang!

A beautiful day here, never got warmer than 72 degrees with all the windows open, low humidity too! For the mid-Atlantic that's a GREAT day, it could very well be 90 and 100% humidity this time of year :lol:

This has been a very enjoyable thread, and even more so knowing how hard Kat worked on it. So I'd like to respectfully add some disks in the hope that it will assist a future collector. I also hope that like-minded collectors will enjoy seeing different variations...I know I sure do!

I will add over the next few days, please feel free to comment if I got anything wrong, and PLEASE continue to add more beautiful items from your collections so we all can enjoy them!

My best to you all, thanks again Kat!

Joe

Type 1 Pinback Variation

Generally regarded as French made but not all, see Air Corps which is maker marked by American Emblem.

LH top to bottom:
Quartermaster Corps
Signal Corps
Air Service

RH top to bottom:
National Disk
Transportation Corps
Artillery Corps

Bottom Center:
National Disk (Reserves)

post-48324-0-43587300-1378501320.jpg

the reverse:

post-48324-0-19245200-1378501371.jpg

Type I - Screwback

Photo 001

LH side top to bottom:
Prison Guard - Unit 2 (applied number)
Military Police
U.S. Training Camp
Ammunition Train Units

RH side top to bottom:
Air Service
Air Service
Transportation Corps
Army Service Schools

post-48324-0-03877500-1378501429.jpg

the reverse:

post-48324-0-20721700-1378501465.jpg

Joe,

These are some beautiful examples! Thank you so much for adding them. I can't wait to see more from your collection.

As you said, I hope others will add some more variations from their collections.

....Kat

Here is something that I picked up last week that you don't see everyday!

Interesting to see one for real.

No markings at all to tell what maker.

John

post-12439-0-13556500-1378997425.jpg

Side view.

post-12439-0-49231300-1378997535.jpg

Here is something that I picked up last week that you don't see everyday!

Interesting to see one for real.

No markings at all to tell what maker.

John

John,

This is very interesting. I have never seen one.

Is this the device used to "stamp" the collar disk during construction?

Thanks so much for adding this.....Kat

John,

That is really a great find. I've never seen an actual die used in the manufacturing of a Type I disk.

I'd love to see a pic of one of the big presses in action during the process, that would be very cool. Does anyone have such a thing, if so please post!

Thank you for showing us this!

Joe

The dies come up every once in a while on eBay. I think the last one I saw was an infantry die and it went for around $30. It would make a cool paperweight. Thank for sharing it with us.

The dies come up every once in a while on eBay. I think the last one I saw was an infantry die and it went for around $30. It would make a cool paperweight. Thank for sharing it with us.

The next time you see one on Ebay for around $30 please shoot me a PM if you're not interested in it. I sure would like to have one.

The next time you see one on Ebay for around $30 please shoot me a PM if you're not interested in it. I sure would like to have one.

Yeah I can do that.

Also did anyone come up with any info on the classified disk I posted? So far though I've only seen the US and a Air Corps disks. I haven't found anything digging around the Internet. But maybe I'm not googling it right ;)