Who's Buying All The WWI Uniforms And Why?

In a recent Baystate militaria update( http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/185737-bay-state-militaria/&do=findComment&comment=1432758 ), it was mentioned that they had sold out nearly all their WWI uniforms to one buyer. Some members posted that other dealers are experiencing the same thing and that there has been a recent purchase of mulitiple WWI uniforms on eBay by apparently the same buyer.

Does anyone have any insight as to who or why? This was the first that I heard of this.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a recent Baystate militaria update( http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/185737-bay-state-militaria/&do=findComment&comment=1432758 ), it was mentioned that they had sold out nearly all their WWI uniforms to one buyer. Some members posted that other dealers are experiencing the same thing and that there has been a recent purchase of mulitiple WWI uniforms on eBay by apparently the same buyer.

Does anyone have any insight as to who or why? This was the first that I heard of this.

Possibly "speculating/investing" in order to capitalize on the 100th anniversary next year???

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I think that person would end up very disappointed.

Exactly! If he/they are doing that, then this is true speculation since the overall militaria market is on the down turn(with the exception of highend items) and doesn't show any sign of shooting back anytime soon.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

Exactly! If he/they are doing that, then this is true speculation since the overall militaria market is on the down turn(with the exception of highend items) and doesn't show any sign of shooting back anytime soon.

Agreed. I hear people talk about the 100th anniversary on a few forums, and I still don't believe it will have any affect. The WW1 market is a unique one. It's not a "popular" or "commercial" war like the Civil War or WW2. It's a very fun war to collect but I doubt the anniversary will give it any kind of bump. If it does, it won't be sustained. The best chance to increase the value would be when they remake All Quiet on the Western Front. If its a blockbuster like Saving Private Ryan, you might see a small, but perhaps temporary increase in value.

Check out my WW1 collection here:

http://greatwarcollection.weebly.com/index.html

Agreed. I hear people talk about the 100th anniversary on a few forums, and I still don't believe it will have any affect. The WW1 market is a unique one. It's not a "popular" or "commercial" war like the Civil War or WW2. It's a very fun war to collect but I doubt the anniversary will give it any kind of bump. If it does, it won't be sustained. The best chance to increase the value would be when they remake All Quiet on the Western Front. If its a blockbuster like Saving Private Ryan, you might see a small, but perhaps temporary increase in value.

No kidding. The Korean war 50th didn't hardly even get a nod. Someone needs to make a big time, high dollar budget film on Korea to give it any kind of kick.

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

The best chance to increase the value would be when they remake All Quiet on the Western Front.

...and perhaps someone is preparing to do just that?

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

Wow that is really bizarre. I checked out the sites and sure enough, he scooped up one I've had my eyes on! Time to start passing out the pitchforks and torches!!! :blink:

Always searching for items from 83rd Div (WWII), 3rd Div (Korea), and anything related to the Civil War in Arkansas or Missouri! Will buy or trade!

In memory of Pvt Roland L. Gates, Co G, 2nd Bn, 15th Inf, 3rd Division. KIA 15 June 1953 defending Outpost Harry.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I was buying up all the ID'ed stuff I could get my hands on a couple years ago, but have since sold off that collection...so it's not me. :-D

It could well be someone speculating on the 100th. If I was a betting man, I'd say that there won't be a dramatic increase in value. It's like the dramatic increase in value predicted for USMC gear after "Flags of our Fathers". Those folks who were speculating didn't do well......

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

It would have to be someone with an obscene amount of money and little knowledge about the hobby.

agreed some one with more dollars than sense probably got excited over a recent movie or book they read and started "collecting"

The best chance to increase the value would be when they remake All Quiet on the Western Front. If its a blockbuster like Saving Private Ryan, you might see a small, but perhaps temporary increase in value.

Yeah, but correct me if I'm wrong, but that movie (and book) was about the Germans.

Having a remake of that film and attributing an increase in value to US uniforms would be like saying German uniforms are worth more now because of SPR. Last I checked, that's not the case...

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

It's also the 70th anniversary of D-Day, so on that basis should we expect a "feeding frenzy" re GI gear too?

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Yeah, but correct me if I'm wrong, but that movie (and book) was about the Germans.

Having a remake of that film and attributing an increase in value to US uniforms would be like saying German uniforms are worth more now because of SPR. Last I checked, that's not the case...

Yeah, german infantrymen, no US troops involved in that book ;)

Collecting USMC AEF 1917-18 & PTO 1941-45, US Navy PTO 1941-45.

Most seeked items : USMC dog tags from 1915 to 1945, USN corpsman dog tags and other identified items, USN id'd M1 helmets.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Yeah, I was just talking generally about WW1.

Maybe I could turn a tidy a profit on this: http://gouniforms.blogspot.com/2012/04/brigadier-general-robert-elkington-wood.html

I also know of some WWI uniforms in local shops. What's the going rate this fellow is paying? I'd be glad to help him stock up.

T.S. Akers, MA

Always looking for US Army and Air Force General Officer uniforms and hats.
http://gouniforms.blogspot.com/

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Could be another Mayor of a major municipality trying to start up a Museum of WW1 for the Centennial. Where Commonwealth and German WW1 Uniforms are rare, U.S. are not by and large, except for Valor/ Special Unit Groupings. I have owned and still own a lot of WW1 uniforms and have always been surprised at the afordability of U.S. WW1 militaria.

If someone is trying to corner the market, they better have a large warehouse and a couple dumptrucks full of moth balls.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Seeking Model 1895 and 1902 Named Officer coats as well as Spanish American War Tropical Uniforms.
Also pre WW2 marine uniforms. Always pre-1945 Colorado National Guard Items wanted! Also seeking Rhodesian

Uniforms and Gear used by Americans in the Rhodesian Security Forces during the Bush War (Africa).

Fortune cookie say: "An expert is someone that knows so much about so little."

It's that shady Great War Cartel out of the Midwest: they've long wanted to corner the market, depress sales, drive up prices and then at the height of the bubble, take a short position, dump it all on the market, rake in the profits and laugh all the way to the bank.

greed.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

1. It wasn't me.

2. People know SSI and painted helmets are 90+ post armistice right? Shh, keep it under you hat.. :rolleyes:

Your trench doughboy mannequin shouldn't be outfitted in a gaudy painted helmet, SSI on the sleeve above a big red discharge stripe, a victory medal with 8 bars, and a decorated gas mask bag with "1918-1919" written on it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Very true, most peoples displays are actually parade displays. If you wanted to outfit a mannequin with a true trench display, you could do it very cheap. 100 bucks for a helmet, 100 bucks for a blank uniform and pants, and probably 50 bucks for a run of the mill gas mask.

Very true, most peoples displays are actually parade displays. If you wanted to outfit a mannequin with a true trench display, you could do it very cheap. 100 bucks for a helmet, 100 bucks for a blank uniform and pants, and probably 50 bucks for a run of the mill gas mask.

Exactly.

When people "collect" WWI, just what part are they trying to collect; the actual combat phase or the 1919 parade/occupation era?

Just my thoughts..

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Agreed

Speaking to older collectors years ago there wasnt a big surge for the 50th anniversary and I even recall the 75th coming and going with little notice as far as a surge in collecting.Main collecting intrest then(in my area of the country)was German WW2 and some japanese.The US stuff wasnt really looked at as collectible.I liked it and wasnt able to really afford the other things being a kid so I bought a lot of US stuff.I found it more intresting and even harder to find on many occasions.I could walk into a gun show in 1980 and see 10 german paratrooper helmets in all forms of camo and such but ask a dealer about a US para helmet and they would look at you like you were smoking crack.I showed one dealer a late war swivel jump helmet with net I had bought at a flea market for $15 and he looked at me like I wasted my money.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..