M2 Re-Enforced D-Bale? Lot Number 192A

I saw this helmet before, it came from Canada didn't it?

Looking at the inside of the helmet, the NATO green paint and magic marker name is usually a give away that the helmet was used by the Canadian military at some point after the war. Almost all M1 helmets I came across in Canadian surplus stores have the magic marker name inside the shell; even original WW2 M1 helmets that have not been re-painted have magic marker names inside.

Only oddity is that the helmet had no post-war chinstraps fitted on it, possibly because they didn't fit the bales? The helmet may be either a WW2 repair or post war fix for some kid to play and beat it up in their backyard....

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Take a look at the re-paint that covers the repairs to the bales. That in my mind takes away any doubts of these bales being fakes. I think the big question now is whether these are repaired paratrooper bales or just some kind of field improvised bales to a regular M1 which has been suggested. However, given the fact that this lot number is an M2 lot number all the way, that seems a bit too coincidental to me.

Its not really an "M2 lot number. Its just early, there are fixed bales with the same batch of numbers. For ref heres a field repaired M2 with brass brazing. In this case the bales were reattached not replaced.

I saw this helmet before, it came from Canada didn't it?

Looking at the inside of the helmet, the NATO green paint and magic marker name is usually a give away that the helmet was used by the Canadian military at some point after the war. Almost all M1 helmets I came across in Canadian surplus stores have the magic marker name inside the shell; even original WW2 M1 helmets that have not been re-painted have magic marker names inside.

Only oddity is that the helmet had no post-war chinstraps fitted on it, possibly because they didn't fit the bales? The helmet may be either a WW2 repair or post war fix for some kid to play and beat it up in their backyard....

Yes, it did come from Canada so your information sheds a lot of light on this one. -Jeremy

http://www.ww2germansteel.com

Looking to Buy Named and Unit ID'd US Militaria from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.