Collector has over 1000 guns

cutiger83

Saw this in the paper and thought y'all might be interested.

Central to the collection are Beard’s late-20th century carbines, which were standard-issue weapons of the U.S. military from World War II to Vietnam. Beard says his collection of 37 variations of the weapon — shorter and lighter than a rifle — is the most complete in the world.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2013/08/20/2931945/collectors-passion-makes-for-high.html#storylink=cpy

Kat...you know how women always say they can never have too many shoes and purses? Well, same applies to guys when it comes to guns! ;)

Kat...you know how women always say they can never have enough shoes and purses? Well, same applies to guys when it comes to guns! ;)

I can already hear the grunts, scratches, and spitting while y'all are reading this article. :lol:

...Kat

There was a local doc that was a Korean war vet who passed away here a couple years ago. I helped liquidate most of his collection. He collected mostly Military 1911's and 1911A1's. He also was big into German lugers and such.

The total count we came to were well over 1200 pistols. I will probably never ever see a collection that huge ever again.

US Military Guy

From the article:

1ilsmJ.AuSt.74.jpeg

John Dillinger's Thompson Sub-machinegun.

Now, that's funny right there. :rolleyes:

Backtheattack

Great collection, wish I could visit the museum. When I read the article hours ago I noticed the comments - now there are none. Read the same statements of the Anti-Gunners like I current read here in Germany. Yesterday a 70 years old man killed 2 people, wounded 5, and now our Antis cry for a ban of legal guns. When I read the comments about the article I remember Germany - it was the same. Here I think we have no such collection.

That customized Thompson looks bizarre! What would have been gained by extending the barrel like that...apart from the rounds leaving the barrel being marginally closer to the target! :D Would the intention have been to make it more accurate by virtue of the rifling?!

Hürtgenwald

That customized Thompson looks bizarre! What would have been gained by extending the barrel like that...apart from the rounds leaving the barrel being marginally closer to the target! :D Would the intention have been to make it more accurate by virtue of the rifling?!

The longer barrel would make it a legal rifle in the US. It also looks to be some sort of commemorative edition. I would rather have a dewat in the original finish personally.

They used to sell commemorative thompsons in the 90's. I think they made them as early as the 80's and as late as the early 2000's. But they were really popular in the 90's. I remember seeing advertisements for them all the time. They would commemorate Iwo Jima, and other famous battles.

You still see one pop up once in a while for sale, but they are always hard to move. Maybe it's the gold, but I have always found them fugly. :)

That gun is a semi-auto commemorative gun made by the new Auto-Ordnance (no relation to the original founded by John Thompson and Thomas Fortune Ryan, et al. The long barrel is to make it able to be sold as an ordinary rifle (in the US, rifles with barrels less than 16 inches in length are legally termed Short Barreled Rifles, or SBRs, and are subject to registration with the BATF and a tax paid on transfer from owner to owner). That gun bears absolutely no relation to the original Thompsons produced in the '20s and '40s. It is simply a Thompson-shaped .45 ACP rifle.

US Military Guy

To all who properly identified the commemorative Thompson, that was the reason for my initial comment.

I guarantee that is NOT John Dillinger's Thompson Sub-machinegun.

I suspect Mr. Dillinger had been dead for MANY DECADES before that weapon was built, but that is what you get on the internet.

Bonjour!

I have had full auto and semi auto thompsons. They are two completely different monsters. The absolute biggest difference btw them is the height of the receiver. The upper receiver of a full auto Thompson is 1/10 of an inch taller than the semi counterpart.

To get the ATF to approve the semi auto Thompson design, they had to make the receiver shorter so a full auto bolt could not be inserted in a semi receiver.

Also the semi fires from a closed bolt striker design, where the full auto fires from an open bolt fixed firing pin or spring loaded firing pin design (depends on which model).

When you get into the workings of a full auto Thompson, they are actually, very simple. It's truly a fascinating design and fun as heck to shoot with either a 50 or 100 round drum!

The barrel on that one is much longer than the federal law requires.

Rifles only need over 18 inches if I remember correctly and overall length of weapon of 26 inches.

That gun is a semi-auto commemorative gun made by the new Auto-Ordnance (no relation to the original founded by John Thompson and Thomas Fortune Ryan, et al. The long barrel is to make it able to be sold as an ordinary rifle (in the US, rifles with barrels less than 16 inches in length are legally termed Short Barreled Rifles, or SBRs, and are subject to registration with the BATF and a tax paid on transfer from owner to owner). That gun bears absolutely no relation to the original Thompsons produced in the '20s and '40s. It is simply a Thompson-shaped .45 ACP rifle.

Is that so? Thanks for the info.

The barrel on that one is much longer than the federal law requires.

Rifles only need over 18 inches if I remember correctly and overall length of weapon of 26 inches

16 inches

most shorter barrels are usually 16.25 to make up for any error in measurement (so no one will think it's less than 16)

The barrels on the semi's are actually 16'' and then have the compensator pressed on, which add another about 2'' to the length. You can either SBR them to give the 10 inch barrel of a real Thompson, or some Thompson gunsmiths actually cut the semi barrel back 2'' or so, and then pin and weld the compensator on to give it the legal 16'' length.

Since the photo was from a newspaper article, that they misidentified the Thompson is understandable knowing how accurate newspapers usually are.

When talking about Carbine Williams and his designs, just think, that under today's federal laws, he could not even touch a gun!