sold the jeep bought a Dodge with Ben Hur

RobbyMB

Some people i can already hear thinking what was a thinking with this decision. But there was aspects that made me choose for a Dodge WC.

first i love the looks and sound ( ofcourse i like it also of the jeep)

The extra space i get if a big plus. For long distances i can pull so much load and carry much more persons. Also when going to an event i can sleep in the back of it :). witht he currect fuel prices here (i drive a lot so i have to considder that also) the Dodge with LPG saves me a lot of money, leaving more money left for long distances and maintainance etc.

Let me show some pictures now. Hope you like the beast...

post-5589-0-37948600-1409624223.jpg

post-5589-0-75102700-1409624236.jpg

post-5589-0-53331500-1409624247.jpg

post-5589-0-16085300-1409624297.jpg

post-5589-0-52489600-1409624309.jpg

post-5589-0-41751900-1409624319.jpg

doinworkinvans

Man the dodge's are so sweet - good choice! I love my M37, wouldn't trade it for anything! You're gonna love it - MOPAR POWER!

haha yup indeed. You are right.

I see that i wrote some bad English in the first post, is there a way to still correct this?

Some additional info about the Dodge.

The date of build is 30th of June 1943

I love them. I've driven all around France and Normandy in one, but... like any vehicle it takes work. And you can haul a load of stuff in it to an event.

I finally realized that I could not even change a tire on the thing by myself, and sold mine.

As I often say, you are either a vehicle person, or you're not. Just don't put rifle company letters on it.

hbtcoveralls

Can you tell us how the LPG conversion works? It is very uncommon in the US since our gas isn't as pricey as over there. I'd love to see how you get it to run on the LPG and where the tank is.

Tom Bowers

Great looking WC Robby. I'm with Tom, I would be interested in learning more about the LPG conversion as well.

Zeph

well. i took some quick pictures. And be aware I'm not a mechanic guy so trying to explain my best.

in the rear bumper, out of sight i have my filler cap. This works in almost all of Europe. In some countries i have to add a small adapter.

Picture with cap and without cap.

post-5589-0-53737700-1409624802.jpg

post-5589-0-01409200-1409624811.jpg

A gas line goes from the filler cap to the tank on the right side of the picture. the line on the left is a escape line for when pressure will be to high due to extreme heat outside. then the tank will let excess gas escape underneath the body. Its a 120liters tank

post-5589-0-77809200-1409624819.jpg

you can mask the tank of course with canvas, or in the future i will make a wooden box around it like a ammunition crate so you can sit on it.

post-5589-0-91264200-1409624827.jpg

the indicator you can put where you want it. I will place it inside the wooden crate. here you can see how full the tank is and you can switch between LPG and fuel.

post-5589-0-32229700-1409624837.jpg

this is also a important component. This is the vaporizer. Here will come the lpg in liquid form and it will be a air form. this unit is heated by the coolant of your engine. so you see a in and out line for lpg, and a in and out line for coolant

post-5589-0-43237600-1409624847.jpg

coolant is pickup from the curve

post-5589-0-09375400-1409624857.jpg

the vaporized lpg will go from the vaporizer to this venturi ring. This ring is custom made so it can be sandwiched between the intake. Problem with our cars is the oil bath air filter so you can not hide it inside.

post-5589-0-94504600-1409624865.jpg

and this small switch will cutoff the fuel when enabling the lpg.

post-5589-0-81528000-1409624874.jpg

Hope this makes it a bit clear for you all :)

hbtcoveralls

thank you very much. So how does it work in practice? Start on gasoline to warm the engine then switch to LPG? How expensive is the LPG fill up and how far can you go? The conversion on your truck seems very nicely and professionally done and I like your idea of putting an ammo box around the tank. I think if gas prices get more extreme around here, you might see some LPG conversions over here too!

Tom Bowers

With this system i can start aslo on LPG. so in fact never have to use fuel again.

If i talk about the prices here,

For fueli pay 1,70euro per liter

For lpg i pay 0,68euro.

Fuel consumption in a modern car should be higher with lpg, but on older cars most people experience a better fuel consumption with lpg.

Normal i do 3km on a liter with fuel. With lpg i do 4km on 1 liter.

With these numbers a quick calculation. When i will drive a distance of 400km.

Fuel: 400/3x1.70 = 225euro for 400km

Lpg: 400/3x0.68 = 90euro for 400km

Wow, that is a significant saving in fuel costs that you have calculated. Once in a while I will see an LPG vehicle, but they are far and few between. Recently, I worked on a contract that will allow the conversion of Waste Management Garbage Trucks to compressed natural gas (CNG). I don't know enough to know what would be better LPG or CNG, nor the drawbacks or benefits of using either. I am intrigued, however. They must make some kits here in the US, and it may be something to look at with the cost of fuel here in California.

Do you notice an increase or decrease in performance, or is it about the same with either fuel?

Thanks for posting the great photos and description, Robbie.

Zeph

i dont know about the decrease of power. should be as they normally states about lpg. but i dont have so much experience with the Dodge on fuel.

Last weekend i have drivin it over a longer distance. I drove with a Wooden BenHur, i could even drive 50mph. So that is not to bad. And over the whole weekend, 2 trips with Ben hur and one as a tour i did 1ltr on 3,5kms. Also quite happy with that. i think i can make 1 on 4 without the trailer