WWII Bomber Sight

HeadOfSteel

• 3 months later...

Time was when the Norden bomb-sight was hi-tech / state-of-the art / top secret and protected by armed guards....and now it's on eBay. How things change!

I would love to have one sitting in my den. Then I think I could convince my wife that I needed the rest of the aircraft to complete the collection. So far a A2 jacket hasnt helped.

This is very interesting. It cuts segments of the old movie "Bombardier" with documentary footage about the Norden bombsight.

• 4 months later...

As I remember as a high school student in the late 1940s there was a war surplus mail order store in Philadelphia by the name of Herbach and Rademan. They would publish a flyer monthly or so with a variety of surplus electronics. One of the items was the Norden bomb sight for the price of ~$12.95 or so plus 4th class postage which from Philadelphia might have been $2. As a poor farm boy, I did not have enough cash to buy even one. Much of the surplus that my brothers and I bought deteroprated in the weather as we had little storage for non essentials. One of the more valuable items, a back pack parachute was stolen from the garage attic in the 1960s. My dad could have bought a P-38 or P-47 for what he paid for a self-propelled combine in 1948. The combine sold for ~$300 on Dad's farm sale in 1963 when he quit farming.