gun shop find (my first 16")

Jr. Collector

Jr. Collector

i got this bayonet today at a gun shop that me and my grandpa sometimes go to. It was a really good price so i figured i should buy because i didnt think i would find another one in this condition for a good price. Its a 16 inch Oneida with an Mk2 scabbard. Feel free to make any comments.

100_5352_zpsbec01820.jpg

100_5357_zps7815b31e.jpg

100_5354_zps9984f4c9.jpg

100_5358_zps6bed7f01.jpg

Nice job. You were smart to buy it when you saw it. I've gone back to purchase something only to find it gone too many times. Also, congrats for studying and knowing what you saw. Most important, enjoy the time with your gramps!

Ken

Very nice. A lot of the nice 16 inch blades are found in USN scabbards, possibly because the Navy did not go through the shortening program to speak of - and the scabbards were surplus after the Mark 1 bayonets were surplussed. Although a lot of these were undoubtedly matched up long after they left military hands, it is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that this happened to some extent while still in service.

Check to see how many "flaming bombs" you have. My OL has one on the sharp side of the blade and on the cross guard.

Marv

Jr. Collector

thanks for all the posts guys! And yes i love going to shops like that with my grandpa. :)

I will have to check my bayonet when i get home for more flaming bombs.

Got da Penny

Very Clean !!! I also like that its a 16'er with a hard to find maker. definitely one to keep for the next 10 or so yrs and watch you

investment grow.

Jr. Collector

A beauty!!! What did you have tot give for it, if you mind my asking?

no i dont mind You asking. it was $175 and i got it for $150.

And i just picked up an m1917a1 so ill have to get the belt and show the display!

i checked my bayonet and it only has one flaming bomb