Worlds War Service Ring

ww2vault

Hi,

I bought this old ring along with lots of other old military stuff and have no clue about what it is. To me, I think it was from a WWI veteran since it sounds like it deals with the worlds war. Before WWII rolled around everyone just talked about the, "World War" since it was the only one. So with the ring saying Worlds War Service it seems to mean WWI. Anyone here have anything they would like to add to this topic?

- Jeff

post-1090-1208214755.jpg

post-1090-1208214786.jpg

usncollector

I would have to agree with you, and date this piece to around the WWI era. The same style of ring had a widespread use in WWII as well, however I've never come across a WWII ring with the "World War Service" at the top. Most of the WWII era rings either had an army, navy, distinctive unit insignia, or sweetheart motif on the top.

Is the ring sterling or plate?

brandon_rss18

i would agree if i had to bet i would say it was WW1, like you said I believe it would have said second world war if it was so, cool find

I too agree with what the others have said about the ring dating to WWI.

Here is a example of a WWII I picked up two months ago with the Army unit insignia,

it is also named ..

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies guys. thumbsup.gif

I would venture to guess that the ring is all sterling. Sorry for the some what poor shots of the ring, it was difficult to photograph. The ring is some what heavily worn, since this was a pinky ring, the eagle on the left side of the ring which sat next to the ring finger is more worn then the eagle on the right side.

I have been trying to make out what is in the circle that surrounds the middle of the ring which has the word World War Service around it. It is a funny design, it looks like a island but what I am venturing to guess is that the sterling which composes what appears to be the island, is actually the stuff that held something onto the ring, such as a gemstone which you would find on some rings WWII soldiers wore. Does anyone know of any WWI rings that had stones attached to them like you would find on some WWII rings?

- Jeff