DISTINGUISHED SERVICE MEDAL WITH CASE

militarymania

militarymania

I have had this for a number of years,,,the serial number is 856,,,is there a list of recipients that I could look up?,,,Many Thanks,Robert

post-3486-0-92683300-1377036698.jpg

post-3486-0-59763000-1377036709.jpg

post-3486-0-10631800-1377036718.jpg

Beautiful medal and case! Wish I had an example like this in my own collection. Is that a star device on the drape?

The listing I have for these does not go by numbers, so I cannot help with your request, but if anyone can, that guy is on our board!

G

Very nice example of a scarce medal, the recipient is a bonus!

Philip

PS: Here is the ciation:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Army Distinguished Service Medal to Brigadier General John A. Hulen, United States Army, for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished services to the Government of the United States, in a duty of great responsibility during World War I, while Commanding the 72d Infantry Brigade of the 36th Division in the Meuse-Argonne offensive from 8 to 28 October 1918.

post-25965-0-53429100-1377039345.jpg

Is it the lighting, or does the medal ribbon appear to be a different color then the ribbon bars. There are not pictures of the reverse of the medal to compare. Perhaps we can get a couple of shots of the back and brooch?

I think that the Silver Star on the DSM ribbon was for his Philippine Campaign - An original silver star device is an added bonus - He received Army Philippine campaign medal #21922

General John Augustus Hulen was born in Centralia, Missouri on September 9, 1871. He was the son of Harvey and Fanny Morter Hulen. His family moved to Gainesville, Texas when he was two years old, where he attended public school before enrolling in Virginia's Staunton Military Academy in 1887. He subsequently attended the Marmaduke Military Academy in Missouri, from which he graduated in 1891. During this time, he joined Company G of the Third Texas Volunteer Infantry, known as the "Gainesville Rifles," as a private in 1887. He was commissioned a first lieutenant in 1889 and promoted to captain in 1893.

After graduation from Marmaduke Hulen returned to Gainesville to go into business with his father, where he began selling real estate and insurance. On Valentine's Day 1893 he married a local girl, Frankie L. Race. They would not have any children. He became a railroad executive in 1896, but was frequently called away from his work due to military service. He held many different positions for local railroads, including serving as city passenger agent in Houston, then general freight and passenger agent. He worked his way up to the position of president of the Galveston Terminal Railway, the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway, the Burlington-Rock Island Railroad, and the Houston Belt and Terminal Railroad. He also served as president of the Railway Managers Association of Texas. Hulen was also involved in banking, and served as a director of both the Fort Worth National Bank and the Second National Bank of Houston.

Although he had a successful career in the rail industry, the majority of Hulen's adult life was spent in military service. He was the commander of Troop D in the First Texas Volunteer Cavalry until 1898, when he was sent to the Spanish-American War as a brevet lieutenant colonel. He fought Philippine insurrectionists for two years in the jungle of northern Luzon as a captain for the 33rd United States Volunteer Infantry. As a result of his time there, he won the Silver Star. Governor Samuel Lanham promoted him to brigadier general when he returned to Texas in 1901. He retired from the position in 1907, but was recalled to service in 1916. From 1916 to 1917 General Hulen patrolled the Texas-Mexico border as commander of the Sixth Separate Brigade. In 1917, he was sent to Austin to assist in the reorganization of the state militia into the 36th Infantry Division. During World War I, he commanded the division's 72nd Brigade, winning the Distinguished Service Medal and the Croix de Guerre twice. He was appointed major general of the Texas National Guard in 1920, and commander of the 36th Infantry Division in 1922. He held this position until his retirement in 1935, upon which Governor James Allred promoted him to the militia's highest rank of lieutenant general.

While his military career was winding down Hulen began to take on other duties, including becoming a director of Texas Tech University (then Texas Technical College) from 1931 to 1937. He was also a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1932, and was appointed regional salvage manager of the War Production Board by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1941.

Throughout his life, Hulen considered himself a Democrat and an Episcopalian, and was a member of the Masons, Shriners, and Knights of Pythias. He died on September 14, 1957 in Palacios, Texas, near the military camp that had been named in his honor.

• 6 years later...

I have had this for a number of years,,,the serial number is 856,,,is there a list of recipients that I could look up?,,,Many Thanks,Robert

Distinguished Service Medal issued to BG John A Hulen in 1921. Here's a bit of internet info:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/tslac/90012/tsl-90012.html

I think that the Silver Star on the DSM ribbon was for his Philippine Campaign - An original silver star device is an added bonus - He received Army Philippine campaign medal #21922

General John Augustus Hulen was born in Centralia, Missouri on September 9, 1871. He was the son of Harvey and Fanny Morter Hulen. His family moved to Gainesville, Texas when he was two years old, where he attended public school before enrolling in Virginia's Staunton Military Academy in 1887. He subsequently attended the Marmaduke Military Academy in Missouri, from which he graduated in 1891. During this time, he joined Company G of the Third Texas Volunteer Infantry, known as the "Gainesville Rifles," as a private in 1887. He was commissioned a first lieutenant in 1889 and promoted to captain in 1893.

After graduation from Marmaduke Hulen returned to Gainesville to go into business with his father, where he began selling real estate and insurance. On Valentine's Day 1893 he married a local girl, Frankie L. Race. They would not have any children. He became a railroad executive in 1896, but was frequently called away from his work due to military service. He held many different positions for local railroads, including serving as city passenger agent in Houston, then general freight and passenger agent. He worked his way up to the position of president of the Galveston Terminal Railway, the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway, the Burlington-Rock Island Railroad, and the Houston Belt and Terminal Railroad. He also served as president of the Railway Managers Association of Texas. Hulen was also involved in banking, and served as a director of both the Fort Worth National Bank and the Second National Bank of Houston.

Although he had a successful career in the rail industry, the majority of Hulen's adult life was spent in military service. He was the commander of Troop D in the First Texas Volunteer Cavalry until 1898, when he was sent to the Spanish-American War as a brevet lieutenant colonel. He fought Philippine insurrectionists for two years in the jungle of northern Luzon as a captain for the 33rd United States Volunteer Infantry. As a result of his time there, he won the Silver Star. Governor Samuel Lanham promoted him to brigadier general when he returned to Texas in 1901. He retired from the position in 1907, but was recalled to service in 1916. From 1916 to 1917 General Hulen patrolled the Texas-Mexico border as commander of the Sixth Separate Brigade. In 1917, he was sent to Austin to assist in the reorganization of the state militia into the 36th Infantry Division. During World War I, he commanded the division's 72nd Brigade, winning the Distinguished Service Medal and the Croix de Guerre twice. He was appointed major general of the Texas National Guard in 1920, and commander of the 36th Infantry Division in 1922. He held this position until his retirement in 1935, upon which Governor James Allred promoted him to the militia's highest rank of lieutenant general.

While his military career was winding down Hulen began to take on other duties, including becoming a director of Texas Tech University (then Texas Technical College) from 1931 to 1937. He was also a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1932, and was appointed regional salvage manager of the War Production Board by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1941.

Throughout his life, Hulen considered himself a Democrat and an Episcopalian, and was a member of the Masons, Shriners, and Knights of Pythias. He died on September 14, 1957 in Palacios, Texas, near the military camp that had been named in his honor.

Thought I'd revive this thread, mostly because I'm a student at Tech. That certainly is a beautiful medal, and named to an important figure of Texas Tech history none the less. Hulen actually has a residence hall named after him. It's been around since about the 70's and for the most part is occupied by freshmen, fine arts and English/Lit. majors.

Thought I'd revive this thread, mostly because I'm a student at Tech. That certainly is a beautiful medal, and named to an important figure of Texas Tech history none the less. Hulen actually has a residence hall named after him. It's been around since about the 70's and for the most part is occupied by freshmen, fine arts and English/Lit. majors.

Interesting info wonder where this medal is now, mania posted it 7 years ago and hasn't been on the forum now in over a year and half. Wonder who owns it now!

His family moved to Gainesville, Texas when he was two years old

That's pretty cool! I was born and raised in Gainesville!

Lots of other accomplished individuals come from Gainesville, more than you'd expect for a town of 15,000 or so. Even one of the copilots on Doolittle's raid, Thadd Blanton, was raised there...and is buried there...