KIA egraved numbered ph.

rory8817

I sent off for this mans file, but came back with nothing found although I may try again as ive heard it sometimes depends on how good the researcher is. He was a pfc. 22nd inf reg 4th inf div. Died 17 sept 44. Burried in Henri- Chapelle Belguim. And also awarded a bronze star.

Ive since got an empty case for it here on the forum.

The enamel has a chip but in other wise very good condition.

Thanks Rory

post-124825-0-45099800-1376990279.jpg

post-124825-0-02960900-1376990288.jpg

post-124825-0-36772900-1376990297.jpg

post-124825-0-13072000-1376990306.jpg

post-124825-0-45032900-1376990315.jpg

I sent off for this mans file, but came back with nothing found although I may try again as ive heard it sometimes depends on how good the researcher is.

With these WW II Army guys, if they say there is nothing, then there is almost always nothing. They can tell from their computers if they have a file, and if so by the codes how much of an original file there might be.

Your next steps would be write for this fellows causality file (IDPF), and/or hire a researcher to dig out the Morning Reports that might mention him. The Morning Reports sometimes have something interesting in them, but most often just a mention when he joined the unit, and the date he was killed. They will often tell you where the unit was, and with that, you can sometimes piece together more from other sources.

That's great, thanks for the pic of his headstone, something else to add to what little paperwork I already have for him.

Also I did send off for his files and the IDPF, a fellow collector kindly sent me the templates for both. But they came back with noting unfortunately. Ar there any researchers here on the forum? Would love to get more info on him and a few other medals I have.

Thanks

Also I did send off for his files and the IDPF, a fellow collector kindly sent me the templates for both. But they came back with noting unfortunately.

This guy should have an IDPF. However, those can take close to a year to get. Are you sure you sent to right place, and if so, they should have sent you a letter a month or so after receiving it that your request was being processed.

Im not at home atm, but I did keep all the reply letters, as I sent about ten off at the same time. I will double check but im near sure I sent off for the idpf for any kia medals I have too. I will post the forms That I have just to make sure they are the right ones on fri hopefully.

Thanks

? God knows what I did then, ill look through my paper work and check if I at least used the right address. Thanks

U.S. Army Personnel Command,

Public Affairs Office (FOIA)
200 Stovall Street
Alexandria, VA 22332-0404.

United States of America

Dear Sir/Madam,

Under the Freedom of Information Act, I request the following the death/burial record (Individual Deceased Personnel Files) of the following Army veteran:

Rank/Name:

Service number:

Served: WWII (Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months)

This information is being used in a legitimate historical research project under the FOIA.

I am willing to pay reasonable costs related to the search and copying of documents.

Please feel free to contact me if additional Information is needed. In advance I’d like to thank you for your time and effort it’s much appreciated.

Kind Regards

-------------------------------------

Your Name and address here

Email

Phone number

Director, NPRC Friday, 30 September 2011

National Personnel Records Center (Army)

9700 Page Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

United States of America

Dear Sir/Madam,

Under the Freedom of Information Act, I request the following information from the service records of the following Army veteran:

Rank/Name:

Service number:

Served: WWII (Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months)

This information is being used in a legitimate historical research project under the FOIA. Request his complete record, excluding any medical or adverse personnel action information. The copy documents should include the following:

-- List of all decorations and campaign medals authorized, including foreign awards

-- Copies of all award citations

-- Units, duty stations or assignments for all periods of service

-- Orders awarding decorations and campaign medals, including full letters of transmittal for all awards

-- Copies of any photographs in the file

If the file was lost in the 1973 fire I would like to request a reconstruction file if at all possible.

I am willing to pay reasonable costs related to the search and copying of documents.

Should this request be denied, please include the name and address of the appropriate appeal authority.

Please feel free to contact me if additional Information is needed. In advance I’d like to thank you for your time and effort it’s much appreciated.

Kind Regards

-------------------------------------

Name & Address

E-mail:

Mobile PH

Office PH

Home PH

Ah just checked my paperwork and I received a reply from NPRC with no luck but did also send a request for his IDPF didn't think I would have to wait a year tho. here are the templates I used for both, if any use to someone else

How long ago did you send in your IDPF request?

It can take about a year to get the file, but after a month or so, you should receive a letter indicating they have your request, and are working on it.

I sent the letters for all my medals about a couple of months ago but didn't get a reply for the idpf's but just rechecked the letters I did receive and I need new glasses as I received payment orders for masko, seems a bit steep tho?

thanks rory

post-124825-0-28664900-1377440644.jpg

$70 is what the NARA charges these days for a file. The problem is, you don't know what you are getting for that. If you knew it was a big file, then that is fair, but if turns out to be 15 pages of nothing, then it is not.

I have a Fort Knox address for the IDPF's. Anyone else have a similar address??

Yes, I believe that is still the current address.

Yes I may have a gamble I don't have much else on him as it is. Hopefully there's plenty. Also have I got the incorrect add for idpf? Thanks

Yes I may have a gamble I don't have much else on him as it is.

It might be cheaper to hire a researcher, and have them pull and copy the file for you.

The Ft. Knox address is the new IDPF address and the VA address is old. The office relocated to Ft. Knox last year. I think that you will still get a response from either address.