Pre-WW1 finds locally the past month

ludwigh1980

Well, I never find this kind of stuff in my local area so I was quite taken back by it when a picker brought it by the office. First is a family grouping, two different generations.

First is the C. 1906 West Point U.S.M.A Coatee and tar bucket as well as a souviner booklet, manual, silverware, and cap. Named to a cadet that did not graduate. Interestingly he owned the 1902 Army Officers cap w. bullions eagle however I can't find where he actually served the Army in any capacity. Maybe went into the Kansas National Guard? (He was from Kansas). Ther other group includes a federal civil war cartridge box plate, early first type G.A.R. medal, patented 1869 with the "cool" broach. Civil War G.A.R. ribbons. These belonged to a member of Co. I 95th Illinois Volunteer Infantry. This unit saw significant action during the war. He later went in to the Illinois National Guard as an officer and included is his saber belt and M1872 Shoulder knots (Commisary Department, and quite rare in themeselves), his shoulder rank straps, Illinois Uniform Buttons and traveling desk.

The period note shown has his name. These all came from the same estate.

The two swords were not from the same family but found at a local Gun Show last weekend. A 1844 Dated M1832 Ames Artillery Sword w. original scabbard (One of my favorite swords and the second I own) and lastly a U.S.M.A. Cadet sword that is the type that dated from 1872 to 1922. Sort of interesting that it would turn up around the same time of the other West Point item, however totally unrelated to these items as far as provinance is concerned. Though not as awesome as an M1872 Commissary Sargeant Coat that another forum member came across lately, some pretty nifty stuff.

post-23325-0-86828100-1376965525.jpeg

RustyCanteen, MVMHM, Teufelhunde, Alwaysonthelookout, Daniel Griffin, Mario thanks for the kind comments.

Displays cool, just where to put it all? My house is beyond full,

Happy hunting all,

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

For the sake of Academic posterity, the West Point Sword is not a true sword from the academy. Though it is nearly identical with the exception of the blade decoration (originals have U.S.M.A on them and were made by Springfield Armory). Less than 300 were made for the Acedemy so they are quite rare. Unfortunatey I relied on the numerous mis-identified examples on the internet for an Id on this one. The one I have shown was actually used by other smaller academies around the U.S.

Darnit!