Iwo Jima Marine DOW Metal Question

texasvwnut

Hello, I'm researching my 2nd cousin who went ashore on Iwo Jima on D-Day, February 19, 1945. He was WIA on February 19, but his wounds did not necessitate his evacuation. He we wounded again on March 8, and died of his wounds on March 9. I got his records from St Louis and I see he earned:

- Bronze Star

- Purple Heart

- Asiatic-Pacific Medal

- WWII Victory Medal

- Presidential Unit Citation with Ribbon Bar and One Star for Assault Troops of the 5th Amphibious Corps

I have a couple of questions. Would being wounded twice, February 19 and March 8, earn two Purple Hearts? Also, can someone show me what the Presidential Unit Citation with Ribbon Bar and One Star looks like? I'm trying to purchase all the medals he earned so I can put them into a shadow box. The originals were lost or misplaced long ago. He was a member Company "C", 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division.

Thank you.

post-107343-0-39472700-1376962374.png

That is what they should look like. I added the star to the PH as I feel he would have received a second award

I think he would also have qualified for the GCM and the American campaign medal and possibly a V on his bronze star

Thanks so much.

What is a GCM, Good Conduct Medal?

His records did not mention a V for the Bronze Star so what qualified some for a V?

So the citation was just for the ribbon bar and not a medal of sorts?

I saw his widow was awarded just the one Purple Heart but both of the WIAs are mentioned multiple time in his records. Was that a common practice during WWII to just give one PH for multiple wounds posthumously?

Yes the GCM was the Good Conduct Medal and I believe it was awarded to any serviceman who was KIA or DOW.

The V would be the Combat Distinguishing Device and that was awarded for heroism in combat

The PUC is a ribbon only award though you can buy a commemorative medal that looks like this but the medal is 1000% unofficial and commemorative

post-107343-0-78152900-1376967093.jpg

As for the PH if he was wounded in 2 different actions then his NOK should have received a PH with one gold star but I'm sure that the star was left off on occasion

When the Purple Heard was instituted, the War Department never intended that every war injury be recognized with a purple heart. The wound for which the award is made must be a direct result of enemy action, must have required treatment by a medical officer and the treatment must be recorded as part of official record. Your cousins first wounding may not have meet all three conditions. More than likely he received treatment by a corpsman, (Not a medical officer) and conditions being as they were on that first day of combat, documentation was poor.

Wolfmsman,

Being a collector of Iwo Jima service coats and having researched nearly all of them ( I'm floating around 21 coats at the moment), I would have to say if his paperwork didn't say he received a GC the most likely he didn't receive one.

It seems the only marines I have in my collection are that we're awarded the GC medal were regulars, that enlisted before the war. The rest of the coats which are USMCR usually enlisted mid war and were not in long enough to even qualify for one. Unlike the Army, the USMC didn't just give out the GC to everyone, it was actually a earned medal that had to be suggested by a superior. Only four Iwo coats I own were awarded GC and all four of them were Regulars, the rest did not earn them they are all USMCR, this include an iwo bronze star awardee and four PH awardee.

Texasvwnut,

First off its great that you are remembering this great marine! You are doing an incredible job researching his history. I'm curious did you get his complete records or did you just get the one sheet page St Louis with just a summery of his records. Unless its missing, the records should have his bronze star citation indicating how he was awarded the BS. Most likely it should have a V device, as this was to separate the two BS awardees types from the Valor type from the other awardees. This was separated postwar so most marines wrote back after the war and asked to be upgraded, I have two Iwo BS awardees who did just that and had their BS upgraded to a Valor device.

Also it clearly states on the separation booklet if they qualified for a GC medal. Since he was KIA I'm not sure how that was covered but I would still think they would clearly stare that he was awarded the GC medal.

I would also believe he would have received the American Campaign as most 5th MarDiv marines spent a year in Pendleton before Iwo for training. I would have to look over his records to get an idea what he would have earned.

I own Four 26th MarDiv coats, one is from the 1st Battalion but I believe he was in another company.

Thank you for sharing the story of this great marine. Feel free to PM anytime. I help out a lot of Iwo Family members with their research.

Leonardo

The V was a "Combat Distinguishing Device,” since the Bronze star was awarded for meritorious service and valor under fire. The Citation denotes that a 'V' is authorized for wear on the ribbon and drape. The 'V' is not the only denotation of an award for combat valor as I have numerous examples of the medal being awarded for combat and no V authorized. There seems to be some inconsistency in this. I have a 14th Marines officer who was awarded the medal for his valor under fire at Saipan and Iwo and given that this was a block citation for his heroic conduct under fire but no 'V' authorized. I have a posthumously awarded medal to a Marine for Cape Gloucster during a patrol that was ambushed. He was killed in the firefight yet his citation does not authorize the 'V' so I cannot tell you concrete provisions that exist but the V definately is a "combat distinguishing device," just not the only determinate of an award for combat actions.

WM,

I'm not sure about the GC to KIA since I haven't studied it, some usmc GC collectors should chime in on this one.

DD,

Both the Marines I've researched wrote to the USMC post war and asked their BS to be up graded to a "V" which both requests were fulfilled.

Of what I gather the V on the BS was authorized at the tail end of the war to separate Valor BS from the other BS types. So I figured that none of the records would have the V stated in their records if they had been awarded it earlier. Even by the time of the Iwo campaign in 45 late In the war, their citations still didn't say V. I figured the word must have gotten around after the war that they had to apply to get their V awarded to them.

Both sent letters and they both received their V.

LF

Upland and all, thanks for all of the great discussion. He was a USMCR, so perhaps that is why no mention of a GC medal. I did receive his entire packet from St. Louis. It has a few drafts and the final rendition of his citation. He did some service at Treasure Island in San Francisco before eventually shipping off to Hilo from San Diego. No official mention of an American Campaign Medal but again maybe due to being a USMCR. I'll look closer to the final citation to see, but I remember nothing about mention of V or Valor.

He was a USMCR, so perhaps that is why no mention of a GC medal.

No, it is because he did not have enough time in to qualify for one. He would have had to have completed his enlistment, which I believe would have been four years at that time. This is why the majority of WW II Marines did not get GCMs.....the war ended and they were discharged before the term of their enlistments expired.

The Marine Good Conduct issued to WW2 Marines is a bit of a mystery to me; I have a posthumous Marines Records and his brothers records and neither has a GCM, the brother being discharged in September 1945. My Uncle who served in the Corp from 42 to 46 received a GCM at his third year of service in 1945. So I am going to make a SWAG that because of the Corp giving out GCM to everyone who served any amount of time in WWI receiving the GCM the corp tightened up the requirements. I assume that anyone who completed a specific time of service received the GCM so Marines KIA during their fist tour of service or opted to get out immediately after the war did not receive a GCM. SME's please correct my assumptions on the subject of the GCM.

Regards,

John

So the USMC did not award the GCM posthumously to those who were KIA ?

Not automatically. The Marine must have qualified for the award and have had four years of service. Most Marines KIA in WWII were not qualified by time in service for the award at the time of their deaths. Semper Fi......Bobgee

I am not an expert on the GCM topic. That said, I believe the WW I Marines had to have at least one year of service. Other than that, a Marine could not qualify for GCM consideration until the end of his enlistment, which varied depending on the time period.

No problem!

To answer some of your questions:

"He was a USMCR, so perhaps that is why no mention of a GC medal"

Most likely he wasn't in long enough to qualify for one.

"No official mention of an American Campaign Medal but again maybe due to being a USMCR

Anybody could received the American Campaign if they qualified for it which was a year in the American zone or if they had some sort of contact with the enemy in the American Zone. Most 5th Marine Division received it as they trained in camp Pendleton for 1 year before they headed off to Hawaii and Iwo. There is a good chance he just didn't spend time long enough in the American Zone to qualify for one.

"I'll look closer to the final citation to see, but I remember nothing about mention of V or Valor."

As stated before I believe the "V" was extreme late war/post war addition so his records wouldn't state if he received it or not. My belief is that you should write to the Awards department and ask if he qualifies for the V, most likely he should have one if he has a citation for BS that is Valor in nature. You should also write to get his Combat Action Ribbon as well, another post war addition that was retroactive to Marines in WWII.

I would love to read his citation if possible!

LF

Upland that may very well be the case as I've seen a posthumous award of the Bronze Star for Okinawa in which a V was authorized but the award date to NOK was 1947 but nonetheless a V was a combat distinguishing device so the question remains whether any combat-related awarding of the medal qualifies, whether at the time of award or retroactive, for the V? I'm sure someone will be able to chime in with additional examples from their collections to better formulate a clear distinction.

uplandmod -

No problem. I'm on a business trip. I'll post the Citation when I return later this week or this weekend.

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the BRONZE STAR MEDAL posthumously to

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS JOHN G. PETERS,

UNITES STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE,

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

“For heroic achievement while serving with Company C, First Battalion, Twenty-Sixth Marines, Fifth Marine Division, against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 4 March 1945. Although seriously wounded during the bitter action, Private First Class Peters defied the enemy’s continuous barrages in an attempt to aid a fellow Marine lying wounded in an exposed area and, fearlessly moving forward under the merciless enemy fire, succeeded in evacuating the fallen fighter to a place of comparative safety. Undaunted by the unabated fury of exploding shrapnel and gunfire, he staunchly returned to the field of battle despite his weakened condition and directed a steady fusillade against the enemy position, maintaining a base of covering fire during the evacuation of other wounded Marines until he collapsed as a result of mortal wounds. His unfaltering courage, fortitude and loyalty throughout reflect the highest credit upon Private First Class Peters and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.”

For the President,

JAMES FORRESTAL

Secretary of the Navy.

uplandmod, I added this per your request.

What address would I write to the awards department to see if he qualifies for a V on his BS. Same address for the combat action ribbon? I'd LOVE to see the Company A, 1st Battalion, 26th Marines coat you have.

Now to begin looking for a Purple Heart and Bonze Star for my shadowbox.

He most likely would have rated a 'V' when his official citation was issued post-war

I have a Bronze Star group to an Iwo Jima Marine, including both his temporary and permenant citations. His temporary, issued during the war, states nothing about the 'V'. His permanant, signed by Commandant Cates post-war, states that the 'V' was authorized. I have found no evidence that he ever requested it, it just seems it corrected itself.

That being said, the Navy and Marine Corps weren't in the habit of awarding Bronze Stars for simply merit in WWII, the vast majority I've seen were issued with or upgraded to include the 'V' device.

As for the Combat Action Ribbon, which wasn't instituted until 1969, I have yet to see a uniform where the veteran requested it and applied it to his rack. However, it is commonly placed in the digital stack when represented online in sites such as Wikipedia

A Navy/Marine style Purple Heart and Bronze Star with wrap broach are likely to cost about 200+ each

Wow goes to show how strict the USMC was with awards during WW2 if he had been in the army he would likely have got a silver star or possibly a DSC