Starter, Fire NP3, M2

Mashsig

The "Starter, Fire NP3, M2" called by some the "napalm fire starter" apparently began in WWII as the emergency Fire Starter E7R1.

post-129049-0-76388300-1376950340.png

This is a screen grab of the first paragraph of the documents summary page - a pdf file of a declassified Wright Pat Program that details a Cold Test performed in the Early 1950s on the E7R1 to determine if a "smaller" version would be suitable for inclusion in all Vests and Kits. (To get a copy of this document run the following search on Google: Fire Starter E7R1 --and the government site that has a free pdf version should come up.)

Unfortunately the document was scanned from a photo copy and the photos are useless. Apparently there is a hardcover book out there - probably published by one of the contractors that was involved in the program.

I will post some photos of the Starter Fire NP3, M2 as soon as I can find them.

If you have never seen this unique Survival kit item - a seller in Australia just sold one on eBay and he provided some great photos of the box and the device. (run the following search on Google: Starter Fire NP3, M2 -- and it will come up.

The Starter Fire NP3, M2 was still in the Army's inventory for MASH units until just a couple of years ago. It was issued in the Air Force SRU-19/P Chaps that were used by Bomber pilots until the SRU-21/P was issued. I have talked to some AF vets who reported that their original issues SRU-21/P vests with C-1 Vest snaps had the NP3, M2 fire starters.

These Fire Starters are as hard to find now for the collector as the SRU-21/P fire starter, butane.

Pretty neat!

I have a bunch of documents on that development of a fire starter. The AAF was trying to figure something out for years prior to that July 1944 recommendation. It started as camphor , then solidified hydrocarbon then the tabs they developed for the C-1. When I run across them I will set them aside and see what I can compile.

Awesome! That would be great.

I had forgotten about this document - that I found by accident when I was researching the information on the butane lighters many years ago.

When I posted it today to start this topic - I saw the date and wondered if you might have info on it!

northcoastaero

I have seen some of these fire starters in museums with red print on the box and some with black or blue print. I believe 4 were

required for the SRU-21/P vest.

Northcoastaero, That sounds about right - because I believe that was how many the SRU-19/P Survival Chaps had.

I have also seen several box types - 1 bright and shiny with as you indicated different color print and one that was "reduced" - black or dark green on OD background.

I am still tracking mine down so I can take some photos.

• 3 months later...

The single fire starter box shown in this picture is a reproduction. I believe the instructions on the upper firestarter which came with the box are reproduction also. The dealer I purchased this from was honest enough to tell me that when I purchased it. I can't find my original single firestarter box to post as a comparison. The bottom fire starter is original. The instruction info is like a decal rather then a paper sticker. The bright white box is the give away and also the red ink does not adhere to the box quite as well

post-6413-0-14087100-1386746271.jpg

Here is an original firestarter next to a partial reproduction. The original on the left has a decal type label on the firestarter while the firestarter on the rights label has been printed on adhesive paper. The box on the right is a reproduction. Apparently a dealer obtained a number of original firestarters less labels and boxes and had replacements made.

post-6413-0-25200900-1387172027.jpg