USMC Women's Service & Dress Caps

usmc-collector

usmc-collector

USMC Women's Officer's Summer Dress Cap (obsolete)

post-31-0-76600700-1376950220.jpg

USMC Women's Officer's Service Dress Beret (obsolete)

post-31-0-31825100-1376950266.jpg

RustyCanteen

Very nice collection! And wonderfully photographed too!

Good question Kat, I do not have an answer. But it does remind of the USAF berets issued in the 1980s.

RC

I can't find anything on the internet about the beret. Does anyone on here have any information about the beret?

When was it worn? Does that tag say this was worn in 1977?

Thanks, Kat

usmc-collector

Kat,

this beret was worn by both enlisted and officer's women marines between 1977-1982,

it saw only limited use, beret may be worn in lieu of service green cap only with green service uniform as optional item

only limited number was sold trough post PX and from approved commercial sources, quite rare item

JAROSLAV

usmc-collector

USMC Women's Enlisted Summer Dress Cap (WW2, obsolete)

post-31-0-75758100-1377025462.jpg

USMC Women's Enlisted Winter Service Cap (WW2, obsolete)

post-31-0-39854600-1377025498.jpg

Kat,

this beret was worn by both enlisted and officer's women marines between 1977-1982,

it saw only limited use, beret may be worn in lieu of service green cap only with green service uniform as optional item

only limited number was sold trough post PX and from approved commercial sources, quite rare item

JAROSLAV

I have looked and looked but can't find anything about these berets. I was wondering where you found your information. Did you find any online reference to the uniform regs for this period of use? I would be interested in seeing the regulations regarding this beret. I am curious because this is something I have never seen.

Thanks, Kat

usmc-collector

Kat,

you are correct, there is no online information. All information concerning berets is from original printed copy of Marine Corps Uniform regulations (1976, rev. 1978) and other reference Marine Corps manuals (1977 and 1982), I have in my collection.

JAROSLAV

teufelhunde.ret

Kat,

you are correct, there is no online information. All information concerning berets is from original printed copy of Marine Corps Uniform regulations (1976, rev. 1978) and other reference Marine Corps manuals (1977 and 1982), I have in my collection.

JAROSLAV

Show us that ref in a pic posted here, and while your at it show us period pic of Women Marines wearing these covers...

Kat,

JAROSLAV

If you don't mind, I would love to see a picture of the regulations.

Thanks, Kat

teufelhunde.ret

If you don't mind, I would love to see a picture of the regulations.

Thanks, Kat

And BTW, show us a complete pic of the inside of that cover which shows the USMC approval tag and its location. No more chopped up micro pics please.

If I remember right, it was a universally hated piece of gear. So I'd imagine not many of them made it into the inventory.

usmc-collector

If I remember right, it was a universally hated piece of gear. So I'd imagine not many of them made it into the inventory.

yes you are correct, as it was optionaly purchased item and not very popular, only few were used.

teufelhunde.ret

scan of text from Marine Corps uniform regulations and reference photos from other manual

Interesting cropped outtake phots - please post the entire page from both.

Didn't know we had a beret...and am I ever glad it saw very limited usage. Not a USMC thing, IMHO, the Army can keep 'em

usmc-collector

full scan of manual showing proper wear of beret, dress & service cap and garrison cap by female marines. JAROSLAV

post-31-0-30469300-1377104828.jpgpost-31-0-85424400-1377104853.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

This is not a USMC Uniform regulation and or manual, as you call it. This is Uniform board information or instructional material put out by the Uniform Board during the trial period of any new uniform prior to approval of implementation "by Regulation" USMC uniform regs of the period looked absolutely nothing like this...

usmc-collector

This is not a USMC Uniform regulation and or manual, as you call it. This is Uniform board information or instructional material put out by the Uniform Board during the trial period of any new uniform prior to approval of implementation "by Regulation" USMC uniform regs of the period looked absolutely nothing like this...

to clarify for all:

the 1st scan contains on right side text from Marine Corps Uniform Regulation, 1976 dated, 1978 revised and on left side I added photos from Guidebook for marines, 1981 dated, the purpose was to make it easier when reading text to see reference photos

I did not scan again Marine Corps Uniform regulation text as this is already on 1st scan

the 2nd and 3rd scans are NOT uniform board information or instructional material put out by the Uniform Board during the trial period,

the 2nd and 3rd scans are from chapter "clothing and equipment" from regular Guidebook for marines, it is official reference for approved and issued uniforms.

JAROSLAV

teufelhunde.ret

WRONG, here is a copy of the USMC regs from 1977: http://books.google.com/books?id=tnA3jKehAyUC&q=usmc+uniform+regulations&dq=usmc+uniform+regulations&hl=en&sa=X&ei=evsUUqCnEoTs8gS-xICYDg&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBw

Type in the word Beret in the search feature, NOTHING WILL COME UP! Because there were no Berets authorized IN ANY REG! What you are posting (Uniform Board info) does not exist in Regulations - utter nonsense!

And BTW "Guide Books" are not uniform reg's!

usmc-collector

Teufelhunde.ret

I do not know why you are so aggresive to me and use words like utter nonsense! You asked to post reference, I did so, so other forum mebmbers can use information.

I have never wrote Guidebook for marines is Uniform Regulations, I just referenced the scaned pages from it and chapter "clothing and equipment", which is updated based on Marine Corps Uniform regulation changes.

You may have 1977 Marine Corps Uniform Regulation reference not including beret, but I have revised 1978 Marine Corps Uniform regulations, there were several changes including beret adoption. So to trust me I scaned all pages from 1978 Marine Corps Uniform regulations to prove it.

1. page list containing all pages to be replaced in 1978 Marine Corps Uniform regulations, red under marked are changed pages in chapter 4, new page was added including beret reference, changes are in text marked with arrow symbol

2. page - first part of text concerning beret

3. page - second part of text concerning beret

I hope all is clear now, I would never post on forum any not verified information, I am very familiar with Marine Corps Uniform regulations and its changes, I have in my collection printed copies from 1949 till present.

JAROSLAV

post-31-0-23442600-1377109661.jpgpost-31-0-87151200-1377109639.jpgpost-31-0-96144900-1377109650.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Right there in the in the title page, under action para 2, it says remove and destroy pgs 4-29 through 4-38 those pages refer the the Beret, and there were no replacement pages on line B or C, surely you can read understand the printed word? Right there in your own version of the regs - REMOVE AND DESTROY. THESE BERETS WERE NEVER AUTHORIZED!

BTW – I went thru this horrible period “in the Corps” where were you? I remember those days, that crazy Uniform Board was testing all sorts of nonsense, umbrellas, new raincoats - overcoats, slickers, rain-slickers for the Barracks Cover, v-neck tee shirts, wooly-pully, tanker jackets, metal rank insignia on utility covers, metal rank insignias on shirts (Alpha and Bravo), on and on and on! Yes, I remember those silly Berets from the Carter years; the Uniform Board sent some of these Berets to each major command to have select Marines wear, test and evaluate. That trial met with major resistance and overwhelming rejection. I recall of hearing, Gen. Wilson telling the staff at HQMC, they would never be worn by any Marine on the grounds at HQMC. And never once did I see any Marine wearing a Beret in this era, the proof is photographic, SHOW ME!

At least four attempts that I know of, the first starting during the K.W. to get these into the uniform allowance, never has and NEVER WILL!

usmc-collector

Teufelhunde.ret

I am aware of uniform changes, yes the pages 4-29 trough 4-38 referencing beret were ordred to be destroyed, but the beret was part of Marine Corps Uniform Regulations between 1978-1982, to confirm that, I also add scan from 1983 Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, where it is clearly said The green beret was declared obsolete on 1 October 1982 and is no longer authorized for wear. So I think, beret was authoruzed and used as regular item by women marines between 1978-1982 as I already posted,

I do not want to argue, just posting all available information to clarify the use of beret.

I would be very happy to exchange any additional info on tested uniform you know, as I work on USMC uniform reference texts and I am sure, you have lot of knowledge.

post-31-0-89318400-1377112720.jpg