USS Jacinto pilot ph group

rory8817

Hello

I normally collect army related medals but have this navy medal group to Lt. Desmond P. Austin who served on the USS SAN JACINTO with torpedo sqn 49.

Thanks Rory

P.S. I will post the rest of my US medals collection in time.

Nice grouping :) I see he served aboard the same carrier as former President George H.W. Bush. Wonder if they knew each other?

I know Jeff all I could find on the net was Bush related info on the carrier,but I did find a pic of him which was good. Are there and uss san jacinto collectors on the forum?

thanks Rory

Thanks, no its not been researched yet. To be honest I don't know the procedure with navy stuff I know the form and address for army research. Don't suppose anyone can tell m how I go about it?

thanks rory

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like your man earned an Air Medal. No mention of a Purple Heart, but that doesn't mean he didn't get one. He also did not earn the American Defense Medal with a Fleet Bar. He was still in High School during the qualification period.

austin.JPG

austin2.JPG

It almost looks like the engraving says G. P. Austin. Did the photo come with the group?

Kurt

Very good point Kurt, upon closer inspection it does appear to read: G.P. Austin

Philip

Thanks for the replies gents, I have found a cm3 Guylas Paul Austin on find a grave. The date june 10th 1945, is very close to the award of the air medal 18th july 1945 Yokosuka, unless it was a minor wound?. But if he wasn't intitled to the defence medal, its either a made up group or theres still a chance its G. P. Austin, I hope anyway, I will try and research him and let you know.

thanks for the help

rory

Very nice grouping. I have a neat shoulder holster, Navy marked with rigger added belt loops and Navy Victory model .38 that I believe is marked to this squadron, (I know it is related to this Carrier). It is buried right now in storage, but I will see if I can dig it out to share. Kevin