Vietnam Era "TIGERS"

tigerfan

Got these Vietnam era tigers direct from a local onsite estate auction. This is only a small part of what I got and what was there, although these were the tiger stripes. I will let the photos do the talking.

post-2609-0-92769500-1376912673.jpg

Not an expert in tiger stripes but I believe this may be the best of the bunch. It is a nice golden tiger ammo vest. Looks like it would have held clips along the bottom. Notice in a couple areas that a different color shade was used.

post-2609-0-17170800-1376913045.jpg

Is the Mitchell boonie theatre-made from a shelter half?

Here is an inside shot of the boonie. Don't know if it was a shelter half.

post-2609-0-65092800-1376914432.jpg

Thanks. Looks to be factory-made, given that it has a tag...also it's too well made to have been knocked up in a hootch from a shelter-half.

Tigerfan,

Wow, what a score. While I'm partial to the Navy set as that is my area of collecting, I do like the modified gold vest. The boonie is just one of many patterns used to mimick erdl and other camo patterns. The USMC shelter boonies are real stiff feeling and have the opposite camo pattern to the inside as the shelter quarter had and some have the identical tag as yours. In fact I have 2. One has a tag like yours and the other has no tag. I'm looking forward as you are to here comments on the vest. The tiger boonie/cowboy hat looks nice as well as the 8 pt. tiger cover. Again ,great pick up !!

Regards, Mitch

Tigerfan,

Wow, what a score. While I'm partial to the Navy set as that is my area of collecting, I do like the modified gold vest. The boonie is just one of many patterns used to mimick erdl and other camo patterns. The USMC shelter boonies are real stiff feeling and have the opposite camo pattern to the inside as the shelter quarter had and some have the identical tag as yours. In fact I have 2. One has a tag like yours and the other has no tag. I'm looking forward as you are to here comments on the vest. The tiger boonie/cowboy hat looks nice as well as the 8 pt. tiger cover. Again ,great pick up !!

Regards, Mitch

Not sure if you can see the tag in the boonie, it reads: 57, I assume South Vietnamese made?. The vest has a great look and appears to have always been a vest and not altered from other clothing. It does have an odd marking inside. Possibly made up by a local tailor?.

Not sure if you can see the tag in the boonie, it reads: 57, I assume South Vietnamese made?. The vest has a great look and appears to have always been a vest and not altered from other clothing. It does have an odd marking inside. Possibly made up by a local tailor?.

I believe the boonie would be South Vietnamese. The tag is almost identical to my USMC shelter half boonie. Same size as a fact. As far as the vest, that is a little out of my league. I will wait for the more knowledgeable to chime in.

Regards, Mitch

Nice haul! The Mitchell hat appears to be from Okinawa if I am not mistaken?

I can't see the tag real well but if is the same as the one in my shelter boonie , then I agree with Beezman. I know my shelter half material boonie was Japanese made but I was not sure if they made this camo pattern of cap in Okinawa. I have attached a picture of the tag in mine.

Mitch

post-592-0-50322600-1376957268.jpg

WoW its Great Vest!

Could you show a picture of the back of the vest - its the best of all stuff!

:)

Regards

Piotr

Here's the back.

post-2609-0-23595900-1377037057.jpg

post-2609-0-15833100-1377037068.jpg

• 8 years later...
On 8/19/2013 at 1:52 PM, tigerfan said:

No soy un experto en rayas de tigre, pero creo que este puede ser el mejor del grupo. Es un bonito chaleco de munición de tigre dorado. Parece que habría sujetado clips en la parte inferior. Observe en un par de áreas que se utilizó un tono de color diferente.

post-2609-0-17170800-1376913045.jpg

modified Tiger stripe ammunition vest,. Very Nice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 7:07 PM, SOG RT Mamba said:

modified Tiger stripe ammunition vest,. Very Nice.

There are knock off's of this very vest floating about , this is mine. 

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg