Need help identifying EGA

MurfreesboroMemphis

Building off of Will's question, is there anyway to differentiate between early M37 and later models. Is it done via the rollers on the back's of the EGA's? Thank you all for help. It is much appreciated.

-Josh

Generally the finish, as rollers were often lost and replaced. In the late 40s/early 50s...the emblems were made with more of a glossy, metallic finish. Additionally, around this time period the Corps experimented heavily with clutchback emblems...which never really gained popularity, due probably to the thick, stiff collars of the blues causing clutches to pop off and not hold. Learned that from experience

Only on the post M37 EGA's, which includes current models. The "modern EGAs" have been around for almost 60 years now. I just bought a trunk that belonged to a Marine who retired in 1959. It had a few dozen EGA's all of which were the WWII versions with flower rollers or the early 1950's clutchback versions (they were worn on a khaki shirt collar). So, even though there had been a change in 1955, he still wore the old style, and that seems to have been common.

I have several 'transitional' photos in my collection of the 1957 Ball in Dublin Embassy showing a variety of combos of enlisted Marines wearing M-37 and M-56. It was commonly thought the emblems didn't really see circulation until 1960, however they were out a bit early. The photo has the date on the cake.

Haditha07USMCR

Thanks for all of the information guys. Brig, are the clutch back M37 EGA's rare due to the limited period they were produced?

Semper Fi

-Josh

Thanks for all of the information guys. Brig, are the clutch back M37 EGA's rare due to the limited period they were produced?

Semper Fi

-Josh

The black ones come along pretty often as they were used on the shirt collars for a while in the 1950's, but the post WWII gold ones for the dress blues uniform are not as common, but certainly not rare.

What is scarce are the pre-WWII clutchback EGA's - there's a thread about them here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4965-ega-emblem-clutchbackswhen-did-they-start/

Semper Fi

-Josh

Not at all...post-WWII has limited collectors appeal. Service ones fetch 15 a pair, dress 25...on a good day

Haditha07USMCR

Not at all...post-WWII has limited collectors appeal. Service ones fetch 15 a pair, dress 25...on a good day

Thanks Brig, that is what I was figuring. Appreciate all the input. Made alot of things make sense and hope this thread continues.

-Josh

teufelhunde.ret

Building off of Will's question, is there anyway to differentiate between early M37 and later models. Is it done via the rollers on the back's of the EGA's? Thank you all for help. It is much appreciated.

-Josh

The 37 - 55 period likely represents the greatest diversity of enlisted collar emblems in the entire period of 1921 thru today. And will be impossible to visually cover here in total. During this period copper, bronze, zinc, tenite, silver, plastic and a host of other metal alloys were produced. Emblems during this period can be found in a brown-ish, black-ish gunmetal-ish finish. All the afore mentioned examples are shown across 10 pages in the book becoming available to collectors next spring.

Shown below are the most common to be found in use during the per 37-55:

• First pic is the quintessential M37 issue emblem, typically found in bronze, was also made in other metal bases. Used w/ brass roller or zinc flat or daisy wheel roller in WW2 and Korea eras. As seen in service or dress this issue emblem design did not change throughout 37-55 period.
  • The "econo lead types" many variety of service or dress made for private purchase venues, used in WW2, this example is a screwback.
  • A private purchase Pasquale screwback of WW2 era in sterling. Most private purchase enlisted emblems of WW2 vintage are found in sterling. ie Meyer, H&H, etc. These private purchase designs continued into KW era and are found in screwback and pinback.
  • A known, ID'ed to a Marine emblem of KW era issue. Note the new finish applied to these, in satin gunmetal-ish nature. This example is in pinback. Virtually no difference between this emblem and the first, only finish.
  • A private purchase pinback emblem by H&H made in the 50s, note the shinny protective coating to the emblem. By this time makers were experimenting with stay-brite and never-dull finishes. USMC finally caught on to what private makers were doing w/ new protective finishes and adopted same in 1960. In the forthcoming book, 5 pages are devoted to information regarding this developmental process.

Darrell - m37 bronze enlisted service emblem 003-vert.jpg

Haditha07USMCR

Sir,

That is incredible information and thank you for taking the time to explain it all. Grappling with the M37 and its variations/ long use has made it difficult to get a handle on but with everyone's help the murky water looks a little clearer.

Semper Fi

-Josh

MurfreesboroMemphis

I'm with Josh. This is a great rundown of the how and why. This thread has increased my knowledge of EGAs exponentially. Thanks to everyone who responded for taking the time to make everything so clear.

Semper Fi,

-Will

Haditha07USMCR

There are literally dozens of enlisted M37 enlisted variants once you get into the hallmarks that appear

I need a good reference book, hopefully the one coming out soon will be able to fill that role. Are there any currently published works which are helpful? Thanks

Semper Fi

-Josh

teufelhunde.ret

There are literally dozens of enlisted M37 enlisted variants once you get into the hallmarks that appear

Agree, Brig has the largest m37 collection I've seen in person

teufelhunde.ret

I need a good reference book, hopefully the one coming out soon will be able to fill that role. Are there any currently published works which are helpful? Thanks

Semper Fi

-Josh

Sadly none. This spring you will be able to buy one, stay tuned here for updates on the publishing schedule...

Haditha07USMCR

Sadly none. This spring you will be able to buy one, stay tuned here for updates on the publishing schedule...

Sounds great, I will be looking for it. Again, thanks for all of your help gentlemen. I am sure me or Will will have another related question soon.

-Josh

I'll snap some images of my M-37's this weekend...far from a complete collection, I probably have 50-60 pairs and another 50-75 singles waiting on matches

MurfreesboroMemphis

I'll snap some images of my M-37's this weekend...far from a complete collection, I probably have 50-60 pairs and another 50-75 singles waiting on matches

Brig, are all distinct makes? Looking forward to seeing your collection.

Semper Fi,

-Will