What Holster Is This?

1stusmcdiv42

1stusmcdiv42

I saw this in an antique shop today, but I had no idea if it was military or a very old civilian holster. Its identical in build to a WWI M1911 holster but its designed to be carried on the left side instead of the right and has a "Lift The Dot" marked snap on the flap instead of the regular flap closure arrangement. There are no markings anywhere and no indication there were at any point. It seems to be void of an embossed U.S. on the flap as well, though I may be mistaken. It has a regular M1910 hook on the back and slits where a belt can be passed through.

Is this an interwar cavalry M1911 holster? or is it just some old civilian article.

0818131317_zps7a0dd535.jpg

1stusmcdiv42

But why does it have the lift the dot snap,? I have not seen this model holster in a left hand arrangement, nor one with a lift the dot snap which is why It has thrown me for a loop.

Most likely a custom made one.Not un-common for guys to have them made in Germany after the war for use and wear on duty or to bring home a captured pistol..I have seen and owned some very well made holsters that were made for the vets privately.One similiar to this one held a Polish Radom I saw in one vets possesion.Several years ago I had a holster that was a near copy of the M3 shoulder holster and it held a Browning High Power.

It is made in the style of the M1916 holster (which was adopted for all branches and services in 1916 and used until the M12 holster was adopted with the M9). The hole in the flap was probably worn out. There have been other holsters posted here that were repaired in a similar manner to yours.

Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

If it is left handed then it is not a USGI M1916 holster. Rather, it is most likely a well made, private purchase, M1916-style holster for a left handed user.

Regards,

Charlie

• 5 months later...