Quartermaster Inspector Badge

PATCHRAT

Not sure if this is the correct area to show this badge. I have little information on it, but to my understanding it was used by civilians employed by the US Army working for the Quartermaster Corps. The Duties included inspecting supplies at various Depots. Not sure about the exact time frame of use but I believe it to be early 1900's to about WWII. I did send a picture to the QM museum and got back a small blurb of info (filed away at the moment), but in short they did have one in their collection but no real info about the badge or the numbering system. Anyone out there seen these before or have some info to add/correct?

post-1604-1208177149.jpg

post-1604-1208177157.jpg

BOB K. RKSS

Don't have specific info on this pin / badge, but Inspectors are usually stationed in each Manufacturers / supplier's plant / factory.

I can give you a rough time range, about 34 years from 1896-1930. The "head down eagle" was authorized as part of the QM Branch insignia on 3 September 1896 which was replaced by the "upright displayed eagle" In September 1921, but the new insignia was not universally worn until the early 1930s. I suspect this is a WWI era badge. Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I am getting set up again. I found the reply I received from the Quartermaster Museum. Here is what they sent me back in 2004.

The badge was used by civilian inspectors attached to the QM Corps that worked at individual depots to maintain uniformity of manufacture or accountability throughout the Depots. They have two in their collection and they date from 1900- to about 1930 in their use. Some inspectors traveled from depot to depot and some stayed at their posts.

The above was paraphrased from an E MAIL I received from Mr. Luther Hanson QM Museum in 2004.

I followed up with a question about tracking the number on the badge to a post or individual, but the response was that they knew of ow such records or if they ever existed.

TOM

Interesting, I know Luther the QM Museum curator well, he bends over backwards to help researchers and collectors. Again I suspect that this is WWI era as the US Army was tiny before and after the war and it's unlikely that they had 1738 supply inspectors during those lean inter war periods.

General Apathy

Hi ehrentitle, you mention Luther Hanson and how helpful he is to collectors

and researchers, I will double echo that comment, he's a great guy and I have

enjoyed my visits to the QM museum when he has been on hand to help me.

Next time you see him please pass on my compliments to him.

Cheers ( Kenneth Lewis )

Hi ehrentitle, you mention Luther Hanson and how helpful he is to collectors

and researchers, I will double echo that comment, he's a great guy and I have

enjoyed my visits to the QM museum when he has been on hand to help me.

Next time you see him please pass on my compliments to him.

Cheers ( Kenneth Lewis )

Kenneth - Will do, I work on the same post so I see him every few weeks. Kevin

General Apathy
Kenneth - Will do, I work on the same post so I see him every few weeks. Kevin

Hi Kevin, Thanks for offering to pass on my regards to Luther, wish I could get over

there more often, since 9/11 the pleasure of travelling has diminished somewhat.

regards ( Lewis )