What Patch Is He Wearing.

patches

Here's a another Topic of the type we post from time to time, a photo of a Soldier wearing a Shoulder Patch that we can not determine up front, and we see what other interested members think.

This one here of a Group of Generals among Troops of the New Trieste Force, TRUST, Bradley we see being the most familar, this photo is believed to be taken in 1946 or 1947, The one officer at the right may be Mark Clark, the one in the center may be Keyes, in fact it's a good chance it is Keyes, we see this Gen is wearing Cav boots, and Keyes was from the Cav, but what patch is does he got on?

post-34986-0-12434900-1376851470.jpg

A three star general assigned to a Armored Cav regiment??? Doubtful. I'd say we can rule out 2nd ACR based on his rank alone.

My vote is Allied Forces Headquarters, which was still worn until September 1947.

-Vance

A three star general assigned to a Armored Cav regiment??? Doubtful. I'd say we can rule out 2nd ACR based on his rank alone.

My vote is Allied Forces Headquarters, which was still worn until September 1947.

-Vance

I agree, 'AF' Allied Forces patch.

$T2eC16RHJIUFHHuWYGiMBR+CdeyPf!~~60_57.J

I cannot see well enough, but if those khaki shirts have double cuff buttons and epaulettes, it is in 1948 or later.

And as Gen. Bradley was head of the Veterans Administration in Washington, D.C. from August 15, 1945, until he was appointed Chief of Staff of the Army February 7, 1948, it does not seem likely that he would have been photographed at the Trieste - Yugoslav frontier before 1948…but there he is (and the E.M. khaki shirts appear to be without epaulettes although the PFC on the far right does have double-button cuffs). The officer on the right (with the swagger stick) is Maj. Gen. Bryant Moore, who commanded 88th Infantry Division in Italy until the division was inactivated October 24, 1947. The Allied Military Government and Allied Commission in Italy was under the control of Allied Forces Headquarters, which was inactivated September 27, 1947, and which probably accounts for the AFHQ patch worn by the unidentified Lt. Gen. in the center (so, who is he?) Perhaps Gen. Bradley took time off from his duties at V.A. late in 1947 to tour important Army commands in advance in preparation of taking up the duties CSA a few months later.

Here is Maj. Gen. Bryant (center) in Trieste with Gen. Mark Clark, commanding U.S. Forces in Austria (left) and Maj. Gen. Terance Airey, commanding British Element Trieste Force (right).

post-1963-0-91223800-1376879899.jpg

My first thought was indeed the AFHQ patch, that's what it appeared to be.

post-34986-0-59036900-1376890764.jpg

I also agree that the General with the Swagger Stick adressing one of the Soldiers at the right of the phote will be Gen Moore, good work Wailuna. On the Three Star, I would say for now, that he probably is Keyes, he was in 1947 the High Commissioner of Austria., and for some reason does not wear the Austrian Command patch.

How about Lt. Gen. John C. H. Lee who was acting Allied Commander-in-Chief of Allied Forces Headquarters and commander of U.S. Forces in the Mediterranean when Allied Forces Headquarters was inactivated Sept. 17, 1947? Lt. Gen. Lee was retired December 31, 1947.

Lt. Gen. Lee returning to the U.S. from Italy in Sept. 1947:

post-1963-0-19000900-1376905328.jpg

And Lt. Gen. Lee in profile with Marshal Tito in May 1946:

post-1963-0-66039700-1376905345.jpg

X_redcatcher

Looks like the Tujors Pret, 2nd Armored Cav to me!

100% not,,however I can say with 100% there were people in the 2nd Cav that might of THOUGHT they were generals..:) Most of the CO's only were full birds, exept Brig Gen Holder, he got his star in the 2nd Cav during the Gulf War.

• 1 year later...
Johnny Signor

In the first photo, the patch when I enlarged photo looks to be 6 sided and has an inner 6 sided type design, also appears to be crossed "swords" or something in the inner design , but I may be seeing something not there .................

Kevin

Looks like the 38th Division and maybe an Armored patch with tab on the right sleeve.

Agreed, though the obliqueness of the patch makes the CY seem oversize.

post-34986-0-83664600-1415221712.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Tujors Pret, 2nd Armored Cav to me!

100% not,,however I can say with 100% there were people in the 2nd Cav that might of THOUGHT they were generals.. :) Most of the CO's only were full birds, exept Brig Gen Holder, he got his star in the 2nd Cav during the Gulf War.

Armored Cav Regiments didn't get patches until the 1960's, I believe. I know when my dad was in Germany in the late 50's/early 60's with the 11th ACR they wore the 7th Army ("Seven Steps to Hell") patch.

When he deployed to Vietnam in 1966 I believe they had the Blackhorse patch by then. So a WWII era soldier would not have an ACR patch of any kind.

Armored Cav Regiments didn't get patches until the 1960's, I believe. I know when my dad was in Germany in the late 50's/early 60's with the 11th ACR they wore the 7th Army ("Seven Steps to Hell") patch.

When he deployed to Vietnam in 1966 I believe they had the Blackhorse patch by then. So a WWII era soldier would not have an ACR patch of any kind.

Marty, at least the 2nd, 3rd and 14th ACRs had their patches in 50s, while not worn on the Ike Class As, they wear worn as pocket patches in a manner of speaking on fatique items, some but not all wore them on the pockets and also above the U.S. ARMY tape, with the 7th Army patch worn on the sholder. This practice countiued till around 1967 when these patches were then allowed to be worn as shoulder patches. But your right on the 11th ACR, seem,s they got their famous Blackhorse patch sometime in the 60s.

see here for a 1955 example of the 2nd ACR,as well as a 6th ACR, and here for another 50s 6th ACR item

Below is troops of the 3rd ACR, Bamberg 1956 with a least one guy wearing the Brave Rifles patch. There's other topic floating around about these units showing the patches worn above the tapes.

post-34986-0-00422500-1416337872.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

His bio says he was CSM of the advisory group for the Ohio National Guard.

It could be the 37th ID although I can't decide if I see writing or a design on the patch or it's just an imperfection in the pic.

Very hard to tell because of the sheen of the threads, angle etc, but I,m thinking it might be the Third Army, worn when he was CSM of the 27th Engineer Battalion, when this battalion formed up again after Vietnam service at FtBragg NC, it might of been an Army level unit before it was assigned to XVII Corps.

post-34986-0-65757900-1418095873.jpg

Here's his page with his chronolgy of units. We been able to zoom in on his rank, and it appears to be Seargent Major, rather than Command Sergeant Major, his last unit before he was a CSM was the OHNG unit.

http://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApps?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=92948

I,m stumepd for now, even my deep background garage freak down in DC is kinda stumped too :lol: Can't be for the 37th Buckeye Div, this OHNG unit was inactivated in 1968, and the patch certainly isn't the Ohio NG HQ patch.

After hashing through with my contact in an undisclosed bunker, we determined that the patch must be Third Army with a AIRBORNE tab (Lupyak was not RANGER tabbed), this photo must of been taken when the 27th Engineer Battalion formed up again at Bragg after serve in Vietnam, and was intially assigned to Third Army however brief, it then being assigned to XVIII Airborne Corps and ulimately to the 20th Engineer Brigade. This is the only logical conclusion we could find.

• 5 months later...

post-34986-0-95837900-1431832876.jpg post-34986-0-42163300-1431833152.jpg

These are troops of the 200th Military Police Company Maryland National Guard around 1956, strange patches on them right! Anyone ever seen these before. I would think they would be wearing the HQ Maryland National Guard patch or 2nd Army, but this! it looks like two opposing clouds emanating lightning.