U.S.S. Leviathan WW1 troop ship sailings. 7th div. 19th mg battalion

blackhawkdown

blackhawkdown

My grandfather went to France on the Leviathan about very end of July or first of August 1918. I believed he sailed with the 7th division but once in France volunteered for transfer to the 4 th division 12th machine gun battalion. I am trying to find the exact sailing date for the Leviathan at this time and a list of units that were aboard that sailing. I can not find out anything of his training other than he was in Waco Texas for training. I would like to try to find out what unit he may have been with before going into 4 th division. He and my uncle were in at the same time and my uncle was in the 19th machine gun battalion of the 7th division, so he may have started there.

Does anyone have a yard long photo of the 19th mg battalion? I would like to know if grandfather or uncle is in the photo. Especially one before shipping overseas.

Can anyone direct me or provide this info?

Sorry I can't help but I do have a large framed photo (something less than a yard) of the Leviathan in all its rusty looking war-time splendor!

Kim

I'm looking at my WWI order of Battle and its a little confusing. I see that the 19th MGB was considered part of the Divisional Troops. If thats the case, they moved to Ft Macarthur on May 5 and trained thru June and into July. On July 26, they left Hoboken for Europe and arrived at Brest on or about August 3.

There's more information in the Order of Battle but I just limited my reply to what I thought your were asking about.

Hope this helps!

blackhawkdown

Thanks for the info. It's interesting that the Leviathan was painted in dazzle camo while taking troops over but reprinted gray after the war for returning soldiers. It's a way to date the photos.