Dear Collectors

I find this jacket this week end some people know what is the SSI patch

Is hand made with wool under poplin jungle twill

Thanks for your help

Regards Jerome

post-1486-1208170459.jpg

post-1486-1208170472.jpg

BOB K. RKSS

Believe 2nd LOG Command was (is) located in Japan. 1st LOG Command was in-country Vietnam; so jacket shows prior service in Vietnam with MACV right arm patch.

Be careful, may be put together jacket since the nametape and US ARMY tape didn't fade in the same way.

Otherwise, very nice jacket, SSI Far East command in local made subdue is quite scarce

Thanks for your help

Some people tell me is the FAR EAST COMMAND

REGARDS JEROME

Be careful, may be put together jacket since the nametape and US ARMY tape didn't fade in the same way.

Otherwise, very nice jacket, SSI Far East command in local made subdue is quite scarce

Cela vient de chez Aldo le simplet...no problems.

Interesting.... the 2nd Logistical Command was originally in Korea located at Pusan.

The symbolism of the patch is explained on the following link:

http://www.vetshome.com/military_logistica...es_history1.htm

Just to clarify during the Korean War there was also a Japan Logistical Command, with the insignia having an Oriental style "JLC" in blue letters on a white field.

I could not find a full unit history on the web, but apparently the unit was later activated on Okinawa during the Vietnam era.

Interesting.... the 2nd Logistical Command was originally in Korea located at Pusan.

The symbolism of the patch is explained on the following link:

http://www.vetshome.com/military_logistica...es_history1.htm

Just to clarify during the Korean War there was also a Japan Logistical Command, with the insignia having an Oriental style "JLC" in blue letters on a white field.

I could not find a full unit history on the web, but apparently the unit was later activated on Okinawa during the Vietnam era.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR INFORMATIONS GIL

CHEERS JEROME

"Be careful, may be put together jacket since the nametape and US ARMY tape didn't fade in the same way."

Man.......the tapes are made from 2 types of material and the letters are sewn in 2 different styles, of course they are going to fade different, if someone is gonna put together a jacket they're gonna do something way cooler than this unit.

"Be careful, may be put together jacket since the nametape and US ARMY tape didn't fade in the same way."

Man.......the tapes are made from 2 types of material and the letters are sewn in 2 different styles, of course they are going to fade different, if someone is gonna put together a jacket they're gonna do something way cooler than this unit.

I gotta go with Spike on this one.

I also see it all the time with the printed US Army and Name tapes. With regard to the printed ones, the US Army were bulk made and the Name tapes were printed for the individual at any number of army posts. Therefore variations of ink and web tape equal different fading.

Same with the style of tapes here. US Army is bulk done and name tapes to order. Different thread and even different material equals different fading.

Mmmm... I know what you are saying, but I have to gently disagree with you about the choice of unit patch. I've seen fakes put together with patches of units that were nowhere near Asia, let alone Vietnam.

I don't think this uniform has been faked, but sometimes the repro artists just slap stuff together because it looks right for the period. In theory someone could have picked up a hand sewn 2nd Log patch like this one and sewn it on a shirt thinking it was a Vietnam in country unit.

As mentioned, it was not unusual at all for soldiers to have name and US Army tapes from different sources which resulted in an uneven appearance on the uniform. Keep in mind while we are looking at these as historical collectibles many soldiers at the time looked at them as "work clothes".

I think the down range jacket is good . The US ARMY tape was already sewn on uniforms issued and it was not uncommon to have name tapes made in country and those faded very quickly whereas the stateside name tapes held up. One thing I learned on this forum is to look at the thread used to sew on patches and tapes. The thread used over there also faded out when washed. I know there are many veterans on this site. I think they will agree with Gill (I do) that once out of service old fatigues were worn working on cars...hunting....etc till worn out not even guessing that one day they would be in demand as collectibles.

Spike, Copran was just making an observation and if both name tapes were made in country and had different fading/wear and tare marks it would raise a red flag. I think you are correct in the name tapes are 2 different styles (name tape made in country.....US ARMY tape bulk made in US). This was not unusual. Copran is learning as we all are so please give him a break and not come down so hard on him.

I agree that it is fairly common to see theater made nametapes and U.S. Army tapes that do not match in letter style, backing material or fading on the same uniform so those facts did not make this jacket appear suspect to me. However, I am curious about some of the replies stating that the Army tape on this jacket is probably U.S. made. I do think the lettering resembles the mass produced woven tapes that were common in the 60's but the material on which they are embroidered looks like the type that was usually used on theater made tapes. I even read somewhere onetime that the Vietnamese tailors would take old U.S. khaki shirts, dye them olive green and use them as material to embroider the tapes. That is where the distinctive diagonal weave comes from and if you look at a khaki shirt it does make sense. Plus, a lot of the tapes do fade to a shade resembling khaki.

I am not questioning the observations made here. The variety of tapes worn on jungle jackets has always fascinated me as a collector and I would just appreciate more information from the experts on subject. Maybe this subject would even merit a thread of its own and it would be great to see some examples that forum members have.

That name "Ankrom" rings a bell with me. I think I sold that jacket on eBay some time back. Unfortunately I can't say for sure. I never add anything to my uniforms but have sold 'Nam stuff with insignia missing so it's possible that some items could be replaced. I've seen all kinds of combinations of name and branch tapes, some U.S. made and some in country made with different degrees of fading showing on the same uniform.

That name "Ankrom" rings a bell with me. I think I sold that jacket on eBay some time back. Unfortunately I can't say for sure. I never add anything to my uniforms but have sold 'Nam stuff with insignia missing so it's possible that some items could be replaced. I've seen all kinds of combinations of name and branch tapes, some U.S. made and some in country made with different degrees of fading showing on the same uniform.

Hi

I don t belive is your jacket all patchs are original sewn on this jacket

I find it in second hand clothing shop in Paris for very cheap price

I send you more detail pics next week

Regards JEROME

• 2 weeks later...

This all looks like legitimate wear, judging by the impressions on the inside cloth of the jacket.

Especially the name.

It is very difficult to fake this, to this level.

I believe you have a good item.

This all looks like legitimate wear, judging by the impressions on the inside cloth of the jacket.

Especially the name.

It is very difficult to fake this, to this level.

I believe you have a good item.

Thanks alot Gil thumbsup.gif

Have A good week end

Best regards Jerome