12th Armored 771st Tank Battalion Ike

Stony

I just acquired this nice 12th Armored 771st Tank Battalion ike today. It came with his pants, belt, dog tags and some paperwork. The armored patches are cool because they have dog tag chain around their borders. Probably a post war addition or after he was discharged, but either way, I've never seen this before. 12th Armored patch is off kilter, so I'm thinking he sewed these on after he was discharged as I'm sure some higher up would have rode him for it.

I looked the guy up on the 12th Armored website and he was in Company B of the 17th Armored Infantry Battalion. So far I haven't found anything for him in the 771st. Does anyone know if there is a site with a roster?

zz2r.jpg

v6q4.jpg

Nice 771st patch.

m9ak.jpg

CIB, PH, GC, ETO w/2 battle stars & WWII ribbons.

ww8n.jpg

The patch above the MUC is something I've never seen. Does anyone know what it is?

ip0l.jpg

Copy of his bring back paperwork for a German camera and pistol (9.5mm ?). Of course the camera and pistol are long gone. :(

c685.jpg

Think the patch above the MUC is a Free French Armor unit - I've seen it before - might be wrong but that's how I remember it.

Think the patch above the MUC is a Free French Armor unit - I've seen it before - might be wrong but that's how I remember it.

I believe you are correct as I just looked up the French 2nd Amored Division and they were attached to the 12th AD in 1945 towards the end of the war. I also talked to a guy I know that's heavy into patches and he agreed with your assessment. This patch was probably sewn on by the owner of the Ike after the war and I'm guessing they traded patches at one time.

The patch on the lower right sleeve is the French 1st Army.

Super jacket and to have a preliminary ID to the unit is icing on the cake.

From what I can find it seems to have something to do with the Colmar Pocket.It looks like they may have fought together.Can't find anything where either one was attaches/assigned to the other.

Great jacket!

The connection with the French unit could be the veteran's uniform is a tecnical, or it could be a radio operator, translator or observer who spoke French to help cooperation between the French and American armies in a particular event or place. The patch represents an honorary soldier.

Ricardo.

Is the shooting badge Pin back or clutchback? It looks like there are ribbon pin holes for an actual ribbon bar. Could we get better pics of the ribbons?

Everything else looks A-ok.

Is the shooting badge Pin back or clutchback? It looks like there are ribbon pin holes for an actual ribbon bar. Could we get better pics of the ribbons?

Everything else looks A-ok.

I would send you additional pictures, but the Ike is on its way to a new owner. :D