World War I Soldier - What is he holding?

I recently picked up this real photo postcard ID'D on the back as Thomas H. Russum of Lorena, Mississippi. I did some searching and found that he was born in Smith County Mississippi on Nov. 7, 1894, and died in August 1977. The big question I have - what is he holding in his hands? If it was a Civil War Photograph, I would say it was a piece of naval grapeshot or a canniser shot, but being World War I, I really don't know. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

post-274-1208123462.jpg

post-274-1208123485.jpg

K2bQh.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I recently picked up this real photo postcard ID'D on the back as Thomas H. Russum of Lorena, Mississippi. I did some searching and found that he was born in Smith County Mississippi on Nov. 7, 1894, and died in August 1977. The big question I have - what is he holding in his hands? If it was a Civil War Photograph, I would say it was a piece of naval grapeshot or a canniser shot, but being World War I, I really don't know. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

post-274-1208123462.jpg

post-274-1208123485.jpg

The soldier appears to be holding a Bocce Ball used in the game of Bocce and/ or lawn bowling.

donation2010.gif

The object seems disproportionate in volume to the way he is holding his hands - as if he is holding something larger.

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

The almost morose look on his face, and his pose reminds me of medical photographs from 1850 to about 1930.

Perhaps, the object is something that nearly killed him?

It also occurs to me that it might not be an object at all, but perhaps a badly herniated navel that is visibly bulging through his shirt, and catching the light from the flash and thus giving the impression of him holding something round. Perhaps the reason he is standing the way he is; stomach thrust out, shoulders back, hands cradling the "object" is because he actually is supporting the herniation for the photographer?

Chris

767409605_sigcustom3.png.e95257302e2a500ba241cd8cdc44ff0c.png

The almost morose look on his face, and his pose reminds me of medical photographs from 1850 to about 1930.

Perhaps, the object is something that nearly killed him?

It also occurs to me that it might not be an object at all, but perhaps a badly herniated navel that is visibly bulging through his shirt, and catching the light from the flash and thus giving the impression of him holding something round. Perhaps the reason he is standing the way he is; stomach thrust out, shoulders back, hands cradling the "object" is because he actually is supporting the herniation for the photographer?

Chris

You may be right.

Andrew