World War I Soldier - What is he holding?

Championhilz

Championhilz

I recently picked up this real photo postcard ID'D on the back as Thomas H. Russum of Lorena, Mississippi. I did some searching and found that he was born in Smith County Mississippi on Nov. 7, 1894, and died in August 1977. The big question I have - what is he holding in his hands? If it was a Civil War Photograph, I would say it was a piece of naval grapeshot or a canniser shot, but being World War I, I really don't know. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

post-274-1208123462.jpg

post-274-1208123485.jpg

Hello,

the kind way his hands are positioned, makes me think he could hold a tiny animal ?

I'm surely wrong, just an idea...

Foxy

I recently picked up this real photo postcard ID'D on the back as Thomas H. Russum of Lorena, Mississippi. I did some searching and found that he was born in Smith County Mississippi on Nov. 7, 1894, and died in August 1977. The big question I have - what is he holding in his hands? If it was a Civil War Photograph, I would say it was a piece of naval grapeshot or a canniser shot, but being World War I, I really don't know. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

post-274-1208123462.jpg

post-274-1208123485.jpg

The soldier appears to be holding a Bocce Ball used in the game of Bocce and/ or lawn bowling.

Championhilz

Mike,

If that was a kidney stone, he should have been awarded the Purple Heart just for passing it.

Mike,

If that was a kidney stone, he should have been awarded the Purple Heart just for passing it.

just the one? lol

IMPERIAL QUEST

I don't know but I must say his feminine pose is disturbing to me w00t.gif . It reminds me of a pic I saw of a lady who was pregnant, and cradling her belly in the same manner... ermm.gif

The almost morose look on his face, and his pose reminds me of medical photographs from 1850 to about 1930.

Perhaps, the object is something that nearly killed him?

It also occurs to me that it might not be an object at all, but perhaps a badly herniated navel that is visibly bulging through his shirt, and catching the light from the flash and thus giving the impression of him holding something round. Perhaps the reason he is standing the way he is; stomach thrust out, shoulders back, hands cradling the "object" is because he actually is supporting the herniation for the photographer?

Chris

The almost morose look on his face, and his pose reminds me of medical photographs from 1850 to about 1930.

Perhaps, the object is something that nearly killed him?

It also occurs to me that it might not be an object at all, but perhaps a badly herniated navel that is visibly bulging through his shirt, and catching the light from the flash and thus giving the impression of him holding something round. Perhaps the reason he is standing the way he is; stomach thrust out, shoulders back, hands cradling the "object" is because he actually is supporting the herniation for the photographer?

Chris

You may be right.

Andrew