Armored Patches Worn On Chest

seanmc1114

Here's an interesting one. Per the "Stars & Stripes" website where I found this picture: "South Korea, November, 1962: During a visit to the 1st Cavalry Division area, Secretary of Commerce Luther Hodges, right, receives a frontline briefing on the equipment used by soldiers at the Demilitarized Zone from Lt. Col. S.Y. Kennedy, Jr., 9th Cavalry commanding officer."

I can't make out what, if any, number is on the Armored triangle worn on the LTC's chest. I guess at the time the 1st Cavalry Division was stationed in Korea, the 9th was an armored cavalry unit. Anyone?

post-1761-0-72038400-1371046212.jpg

Here's an interesting one. Per the "Stars & Stripes" website where I found this picture: "South Korea, November, 1962: During a visit to the 1st Cavalry Division area, Secretary of Commerce Luther Hodges, right, receives a frontline briefing on the equipment used by soldiers at the Demilitarized Zone from Lt. Col. S.Y. Kennedy, Jr., 9th Cavalry commanding officer."

I can't make out what, if any, number is on the Armored triangle worn on the LTC's chest. I guess at the time the 1st Cavalry Division was stationed in Korea, the 9th was an armored cavalry unit. Anyone?

Look at the uniform posted in post #57. The armor triangle has "RCN." It is LTC Kennedy's OG wool shirt and trousers.

Look at the uniform posted in post #57. The armor triangle has "RCN." It is LTC Kennedy's OG wool shirt and trousers.

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting that on his shirt he wore the armor triangle above his nametape and on the field jacket above his U.S. Army tape. I wonder if it was worn like that at the same time or the practice changed at some point.

Gen. Patton wearing the I Armored Corps patch on his chest at the Desert Warfare Training Center - early 1942.

post-1761-0-40586300-1371134046.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

72nd Tank Battalion?

Looks like a big solitary T on the Yellow, I saved to documents so I could really zoom in on it, and that's what it appears to be, a T

• 1 month later...

Brigadier General Ernest Harmon on maneuvers in South Carolina early during his first stint as Commanding General of 2nd Armored Division (which he commanded twice: July 1942 - April 1943 and September 1944 - January 1945).

attachicon.gifHarmon.jpg

Here he is again Wailuna, this time as a Major General, date and place, unfortunately not givin, but seeing that it seems WARM, my guess is North Africa circa late 1942 till Harmon left command of the 2nd Armd Div in April 1943 to take over the 1st Armd Div.

post-34986-0-63107200-1376163768.jpg

@Wailuna, this photo of the then BG Harmon was he in fact the Asst Div Commander, or one of the Combat Command COs?

@Wailuna, this photo of the then BG Harmon was he in fact the Asst Div Commander, or one of the Combat Command COs?

post-1963-0-66411100-1376187312.jpg

Harmon was promoted to Brig. Gen. (AUS) March 15, 1942, while he was serving under Maj. Gen. Jacob Devers’ Chief of Staff (and as his de facto deputy commanding general) of the Armored Force at Ft. Knox. On July 31, 1942, Harmon assumed command of 2nd Armored Division at Ft. Benning, replacing Maj. Gen. Willis D. Crittenberger who had assumed command of III Armored Corps at Ft. Polk on July 7th. Harmon had been handpicked for promotion to brigadier general by Lt. Gen. Leslie J. McNair, Commanding General of Army Ground Forces, and he was destined for early command of an armored division by virtue of his relationship with generals Devers and McNair. In view of the above timeline and the brisk tempo of moving officers picked for higher command into their chosen assignments, it doesn’t seem likely that the higher powers had any reason for Harmon to spend time as a subordinate commander in the division, particularly as Crittenberger was long gone before Harmon assumed command. As for this new picture of Maj. Gen. Harmon, he was promoted August 9, 1942, while still in command of 2nd Armored Division in North Africa. Indeed, it looks as if he might be wearing the same coveralls and scarf in both pictures.

Thank you Wailuna for ironing out the rough spots. Yes he does indeed look like he's wearing the same coveralls in that second photo, AND as you noticed probably the same neck scarf too, must of been a special scarf :lol:

The web gear that you see Gen Ridgway wearing through WWII was the SAME, never changed, including the frag grenade. AND he wore the exact same stuff in KOREA. The rig used to be displayed at the 82nd Museum at Bragg.

Another one of the 4th Armd Div as worn by this unit on the Right Side, with the White Name Tap worn on the left under the U.S.ARMY Tape. A most interesting one as we see the son of one General and possibly a second.

post-34986-0-48269500-1376277019.jpg

Capt R.D. Snyder, Lt Henry W. Meetze, SFC Joe E.Marshall, Lt Thomas W.Herren Jr, Maj John F. Rose (Ft Hood Skeet Tourney Winners- Dec 1956)

Thomas W. Herren Jr second from the right is the son of Thomas W.Herren of WWII Trailblazer Division Fame, Herren Junior is West Point 1955, and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1976?, his brother John D. Herren (Not Pictured) also was also a graduate of The Point, and a career officer, and retired as a Full Colonel. John D was a lot younger than Junior, and was in the 1st Cav Div in Vietnam as Captain by 1965, and was Co B 1st Battalion 7th Cavarly's CO in 1965-66 to include X-Ray. Major John F. Rose, far right in Class As, is he the son of Maurice Rose???

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting, as the 2nd BG 4th Cav was an Infantry unit at that time, I wonder why the Triangle.

Didn't the Battle Groups have an assigned Tank Company?

Yes, re. patches=> 2/4 Cav. was organized as Infantry when assigned to 1st Cav. Div. ca. 1957/65.

No, re. atb=> The Pentomic ROCID concept consolidated tanks in a separate battalion at division level; 3rd Tank Bn., 40th Armor Regiment, had that assignment in 1st Cav. Div.

So, why was that soldier wearing a 4th Cav. DI and an Armor triangle at the same time? Maybe his tank was parked in a 2/4 Cav. motor pool and he got better treatment by wearing the same DI as the motor sgt. (Seen somewhere: A pix. of 40th AR DI being worn with 1st CD patch and unnumbered Armor triangle....where is it...where is it?)

...Seen somewhere: A pix. of 40th AR DI being worn with 1st CD patch and unnumbered Armor triangle....where is it...where is it?

Here it is!

post-1963-0-99219000-1387164429.jpg

Lt. Col. Lawrence H. Johnson was XO and later CO of 3rd Tank Battalion, 40th Armor Regiment in Korea ca. 1961/62. For members of the Forum around long enough to remember the inimitable CptCav, this is his dad. Ever the complete cavalry scout, CptCav remains on eternal watch and always alert to the smallest detail. In this spirit, he has helpfully corrected my misstatement that there were no tanks in Infantry Battle Group. Indeed, the Battle Group Headquarters and Headquarters Company (TOE 7-12D) included a Recon Platoon with a tank section of two light tanks and his opinion is that Tanker Pope was a tank crewman in the 2/4 Cav. Recon Platoon, hence the 4th Cav. DI and his Armor triangle…and atb was on the right track after all.

Yes indeed, I too was of the thought the Tank Company in a Infantry unit went the way of the Dodo Bird after 1957, but as we see it was still there, in a smaller size in the new Battle Group. Section 4 of this FM covers it.

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/docrepository/FM7_19.pdf

The tanks used were the M41 Walker Bulldogs.

jacksonm41a.jpg

Here is another 3rd Tank Bn. officer wearing the Armor triangle over his right shirt pocket, a practice reliably reported to have been battalion S.O.P. when OG-108 field shirts were worn as a winter parade uniform. Reason: Ribbons, CIBs, wings, etc were worn over the left shirt pocket when battalion was on parade and for other ceremonies, as appropriate.

post-1963-0-55676100-1387335697.jpg

Thanks, CptCav....

post-1963-0-20563500-1387335787.jpg

Here is another 3rd Tank Bn. officer wearing the Armor triangle over his right shirt pocket, a practice reliably reported to have been battalion S.O.P. when OG-108 field shirts were worn as a winter parade uniform. Reason: Ribbons, CIBs, wings, etc were worn over the left shirt pocket when battalion was on parade and for other ceremonies, as appropriate.

attachicon.gifCapt. Jones 3rd TB ca. 1961.jpg

Thanks, CptCav....

attachicon.gifOld Bill.jpg

Great photo, love the helmet, clean with unusal size bars, was CPT Jones B Company 3/40 Armor's Old Man or was he Staff do you know?