Armored Patches Worn On Chest

seanmc1114

FYI- Mott's claim to fame was as an Engineer Platoon Leader in the 9th Armored Division. He and two Engineer NCO's followed the infantry across the bridge at Remagen under fire cutting the wire from the charges and throwing them in the Rhine. He was awarded the DSC.One of the BOQ buildings for Engineer Lt's at Fort Leonard Wood is named for him and has his accolades hanging in the lobby - I lived there for about 3 months.

FYI- Mott's claim to fame was as an Engineer Platoon Leader in the 9th Armored Division. He and two Engineer NCO's followed the infantry across the bridge at Remagen under fire cutting the wire from the charges and throwing them in the Rhine. He was awarded the DSC.One of the BOQ buildings for Engineer Lt's at Fort Leonard Wood is named for him and has his accolades hanging in the lobby - I lived there for about 3 months.

Thanks for that info Baron.

Here's one more foto of him, plus his DSC citation.

post-34986-0-97087000-1464805449.jpg

http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=32175

Adrian6256

Hello, I have a nice example of the armored patch being worn on the chest. and i wanted to add it here. one thing that is a bot strange about this example is it also has a 4th ID SSI on the right chest pocket. Was this a standard way of wearing it, or just a soldier wearing it differently?

Thanks, Adrian

post-158668-0-73489600-1464893385.jpgpost-158668-0-38158200-1464893391.jpg

seanmc1114

Your jacket has the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 67th Infantry Brigade of the Nebraska National Guard on the left sleeve. At one time the unit was a roundout brigade of the 4th Infantry Division which is why the 4th patch is worn on the pocket. The armor triangle probably denotes service with either the 1st Battalion 195th Armor or Troop E 167th Cavalry, both of which were organic to the 67th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/67th_Battlefield_Surveillance_Brigade

seanmc1114

Hello, I have a nice example of the armored patch being worn on the chest. and i wanted to add it here. one thing that is a bot strange about this example is it also has a 4th ID SSI on the right chest pocket. Was this a standard way of wearing it, or just a soldier wearing it differently?

Thanks, Adrian

attachicon.gifresized_1.jpgattachicon.gifresized_2.jpg

Your jacket has the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 67th Infantry Brigade of the Nebraska National Guard on the left sleeve. At one time the unit was a roundout brigade of the 4th Infantry Division which is why the 4th patch is worn on the pocket. The armor triangle probably denotes service with either the 1st Battalion 195th Armor or Troop E 167th Cavalry, both of which were organic to the 67th.

https://en.wikipedia...illance_Brigade

• 3 weeks later...

Unnumbered triangle worn by a tank officer of the 4th Battalion 33rd Armor of the Army Reserve's 205th Infantry Brigade

post-1761-0-62328300-1466437100.jpg

post-1761-0-30008300-1466437101.jpg

post-1761-0-89697700-1466437101.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

post-34986-0-12063200-1480821481.jpg

A 72nd Tank Battalion 7th Infantry Division Tank Officer circa 1953 in Korea (Note the 72 on the Yellow portion). Looks also to have an early example of a Yellow w/ Green lettering Armor colored branch NAME tape there, and a 72 under his Armor branch collar insigina.

attachicon.gifamd.jpg

A 72nd Tank Battalion 7th Infantry Division Tank Officer circa 1953 in Korea (Note the 72 on the Yellow portion). Looks also to have an early example of a Yellow w/ Green lettering Armor colored branch NAME tape there, and a 72 under his Armor branch collar insigina.

The 73rd Tank Bn supported the 7th ID during the Korean War.

72nd Tank Bn supported the 2nd ID at the time.

It IS a nice pic for sure.

The 73rd Tank Bn supported the 7th ID during the Korean War.

72nd Tank Bn supported the 2nd ID at the time.

It IS a nice pic for sure.

Yes, my typo, I realized that now.

• 2 months later...

Love this thread! Thought I'd post this here as it's somewhat appropriate.

post-105136-0-39322200-1486405023_thumb.jpg

My friend found this shirt at the vintage store a while back; I recently came into possession of it. What's strange is that the Armored patch is on the chest despite it being a khaki shirt! I thought this practice was usually reserved for fatigue shirts. Has anyone else see something like this done? It should be noted that the patches appear to be all original to the shirt - no traces of prior insignia being removed.

An even weirder thing is that there were KW ribbons and late 50's jump wings in the pocket, and they show clear traces of being worn above the right pocket. (The ribbons had two silver campaign stars that fell off, but they were the type where the stars were linked together). I put the ribbons back but I left the jump wings at my friend's house...Is this even legit? I can almost live with the Airborne/Cavalry patch combo, but being a Korean War vet in the late 50's-early 60's (note the AG chevrons) and never going past PFC, while also being Airborne qualified and wearing awards on the completely wrong side? It doesn't make any sense...

Love this thread! Thought I'd post this here as it's somewhat appropriate.

attachicon.gif1st cav shirt.jpg

My friend found this shirt at the vintage store a while back; I recently came into possession of it. What's strange is that the Armored patch is on the chest despite it being a khaki shirt! I thought this practice was usually reserved for fatigue shirts. Has anyone else see something like this done? It should be noted that the patches appear to be all original to the shirt - no traces of prior insignia being removed.

An even weirder thing is that there were KW ribbons and late 50's jump wings in the pocket, and they show clear traces of being worn above the right pocket. (The ribbons had two silver campaign stars that fell off, but they were the type where the stars were linked together). I put the ribbons back but I left the jump wings at my friend's house...Is this even legit? I can almost live with the Airborne/Cavalry patch combo, but being a Korean War vet in the late 50's-early 60's (note the AG chevrons) and never going past PFC, while also being Airborne qualified and wearing awards on the completely wrong side? It doesn't make any sense...

My guess is the armor patch was put on there, the stripes and Cav patch A-OK, I say this as you will not see an Armor Triangle worn in this manner on a Khaki shirt not even in WWII. Ribbons and wings? probably just put in the pocket at the store.

My guess is the armor patch was put on there, the stripes and Cav patch A-OK, I say this as you will not see an Armor Triangle worn in this manner on a Khaki shirt not even in WWII. Ribbons and wings? probably just put in the pocket at the store.

Well, 1/9 Cav was the Recon Sq for the 1st Cav Div, that's where the triangles with RCN come from.....maybe this one did not have the RCN added, and with what GIs got away with, this doesn't surprise me any at all. The shirt is definitely post WW II.

The Armor patch is sewn on with exactly the same thread as the other patches, and looks like it's been there for a while. As for the ribbons and wings, yeah, maybe they were pinned on at some point but weren't there originally?

The Armor patch is sewn on with exactly the same thread as the other patches, and looks like it's been there for a while. As for the ribbons and wings, yeah, maybe they were pinned on at some point but weren't there originally?

I have no idea, however as we have seen time and again, there are a lot of odd ball uniform shirts and coats found in vintage stores and the like insignia wise, both cloth and pin on insignia which we say HUH! As for me, never seen a U.S. Army Khaki Dress Shirt long or short sleeve, WWII through the early 80s, or for that matter a OD Class A Four pocket coat or IKE jacket, or the AG44 Class A coat with a Armor Triangle sewn there in that spot where ribbons and qualification and skill badges go, to my mind it would be an unauthorized appication.

If we see one period foto, then that can tell us, that it was done, but it would have to be a individual portrait or unit foto.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this great foto tonight, not so mush as a Armor Triangle on the Chest but one on the cap??? Sure looks like it right, miniature ones at that.

A real curious one, now unless the unit is IDed wrong, these guys are of HHC 2nd Battalion 8th Cavalry in the ROK in 1964, and would be non mechanized ground RECON rather than Armored in ROAD Infantry Battalions. Their Camo uniforms are unique ROKA I suppose, but note too the band on the berets, look Yellow right? Yellow for Armor.

post-34986-0-29522300-1487999346_thumb.jpg

Here is mine.

I have not seen any 4th armored breast patch on this thread.

I got this one from someone who does not collect so I believe it is 100% original

20161010.jpg

Here is mine.

I have not seen any 4th armored breast patch on this thread.

I got this one from someone who does not collect so I believe it is 100% original

20161010.jpg

Is there a legible date inside the coveralls? The 4th AD patch appears to be a 50s version.

Unnumbered Armor triangles worn by members of the 1st Medium Tank Battalion 34th Armor of the 4th Infantry Division at Fort Lewis, Washington - 1962

post-1761-0-33655000-1488810870.jpg

• 2 months later...

post-467-0-66573400-1494838596_thumb.jpg

General Diego Brosset, 1st Division Française Libre, Italy 1944. Tanker on the left seems to be a french soldier wearing the armor triangle.