The Battle of Manila, August 13, 1898

aerialbridge

aerialbridge

Yesterday was the 115th Anniversary of the BATTLE OF MANILA, the land and sea battle that for the most part, marked the end of the Spanish- American War in the Philippines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Manila_%281898%29

I know that Adam and others have some historic attributed medals and groups to soldiers, sailors and marines who were at Manilla on August 13, 1898. If any of those gents are up for it, this would be a great time to see those medals and honor the service of their recipients.

Thanks.

EDIT: Well, just realized I typed the WRONG battle (and misspelled- sheesh) .....It would be the BATTLE OF MANILA, not MANILA BAY.. Notwithstanding that, and since the Edit function does not appear to allow me to correct mistakes in the Title..... this is about all I can do to fix it.

The medals would still be great to see!

I am always messing up the title and I would have written Manila Bay. I don't have any Spam-Am groups. I should get one. I know where there are about fifteen Sampson and Dewey groups for sale but the Span-Am war never called out to me and the groups are expensive. I would sooner have a nice China group.

Dick

I am always messing up the title and I would have written Manila Bay. I don't have any Spam-Am groups. I should get one. I know where there are about fifteen Sampson and Dewey groups for sale but the Span-Am war never called out to me and the groups are expensive. I would sooner have a nice China group.

Dick

..............................................................................................................................

I agree. I will go for China Service every time.

W

aerialbridge

WM and Dick, thanks guys. And thanks to the unknown Forum Administrator who mercifully corrected the title to this post. I agree with you both about the value and cost basis of a good China Service group vs. trying to chase a Sampson or Dewey group these days. You both have some tremendous China Service groups that you've shared here. I know Adam's been busy since returning from the OMSA convention but I expect he'll oblige this invite when he has time. I've got medals to two sailors who were at Manila on 8/13/98 - no Dewey- but figured I'd put them up after the "big guns".

This USN Spanish Campaign, # 1836, was issued to Past Assistant Surgeon Ammen Farenholt for service on the cruiser USS Charleston during the bombardment of Manila on August 13. (Farenholt was also onboard when the ship participated in the capture of Guam two months earlier.) He later retired as a Rear Admiral in the Medical Corps.

post-10651-0-65000200-1376784286.jpg

Reverse of medal. It has the first pattern ribbon that was used until 1913. It’s unknown why Farenholt didn’t change the ribbon to the second pattern yellow and blue after 1913.

post-10651-0-32753800-1376784318.jpg

Halftone photograph of a group of the ship's officers, taken in May-June 1898 while in passage from Honolulu to Guam. Farenholt marked with V.

post-10651-0-60415100-1376784422.jpg

Forgot to mention earlier; this is a great topic for a thread. I have a lot more to add but not enough free time right now. I'll try to post additional items soon.

This USN Spanish Campaign, an original BB&B strike, was issued to Frank Stevenson who was a Plumber & Fitter on the USS Olympia. The medal, # 5060, was issued to Stevenson in 1914, so it has the second pattern ribbon that was adopted in 1913. The Olympia participated in the naval bombardment of Manila on August 13 prior to the Army assault.

post-10651-0-22160600-1377196710.jpg

Stevenson’s letter to the Bureau of Navigation requesting issue of campaign medals. The Bureau of Navigation handled personnel matters such as issuing medals. Stevenson was eligible for the medal when it first became available in 1908 and there’s no explanation in his record as to why he waited six years to claim it.

post-10651-0-18819700-1377196750.jpg

The reply from the Navy and the medal index card that shows the rim number of the medals, ship and dates of service and date of issue. All of these documents were copied from Stevenson’s personnel file in St. Louis.

post-10651-0-01762300-1377196782.jpg

post-10651-0-65901700-1377196789.jpg

I figured that I should probably post at least one Army group here since the battle was primarily an Army operation. These are the medals of Russell H. Ingersoll of the 1st Colorado Infantry.

The top row shows the state of Colorado Span Am War service medal (named to “R. H. Ingersoll”), Philippine Congressional (No. 1981), Spanish Campaign (M.No.) and the Philippine Campaign (M.No.). The bottom row is the Society of the Army of the Philippines, in bronze (named to “R.H. Ingersoll”), early style VFW medal with enameled arms and 8th Corps device (named) and other various Army of the Philippines medals. This group was the predecessor of the VFW.

post-10651-0-23753200-1377444644.jpg

These are the cards for the three federal medals. The one on the far left is for the Philippine Congressional, showing that it was issued in 1908. The other two cards are applications to the Adjutant General for permission to purchase the Spanish and Philippine Campaign Medals from the US Mint in 1914.

post-10651-0-63748200-1377444748.jpg

Two photos of troops of the 1st Colorado shortly after the battle. Note that the top photo was donated by Ammen Farenholt, whose medal is shown above.

Capture of Fort San Antonio de Abad, Malate, Philippines, 13 August 1898

First U.S. flag is hoisted over the fort, which had been bombarded by U.S. warships, including USS Olympia, and captured by troops of the U.S. Army First Colorado Volunteer Regiment. Note extensive damage from shellfire.
Donation of Rear Admiral Ammen C. Farenholt, USN(MC).
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph. Photo #: NH 43149

Capture of Fort San Antonio de Abad, Malate, Philippines, 13 August 1898

"From the staff at left, the First Colorado lowered the Spanish and swung out the American flag." (original caption)
Photograph shows U.S. Army troops standing by two field guns in the fort, sometime after its capture. Man at left holds a Springfield "trap-door" carbine.
Courtesy of Mr. L.Y. Spear, Electric Boat Co., Groton, CT, 1948.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

post-10651-0-14635000-1377444789.jpg

Very nice group of medals. I like the pictures that go along with them. It is one thing to see a name on a medal with a portrait from a file, but when you can see them places and actions that went with the medals, it makes their stories that much better.