Pictures of some AAF flight gear

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

Hey guys I thought these were pretty cool. I don't think they are rare photos at all, but I did think they showed a good variety of flight clothing/gear in action.

The first is some pilots from the 9th AF - just shows a good array of gear.

9thAAF 354fg gear.jpg

doinworkinvans

The 2nd is some crew from a flak damaged B26. Note the flak vest looks huge on him. Also I noticed they are both wearing what appear to be regualr helmets and not flak helmets. Just thought these were cool.. I love seeing stuff in action.

B-26 flak gear.jpg

Both have painted helmets...looks to be the same design on both of them. I'd love to see a close-up of the design! Flak vests were one size fits all. His flak apron is hanging loose so it just looks bigger.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I thought these were pretty cool. I don't think they are rare photos at all, but I did think they showed a good variety of flight clothing/gear in action.

The first is some pilots from the 9th AF - just shows a good array of gear.

the guy on the far right looks to be wearing the British made escape boot , these were designed so that the top half of the boot could be pulled away from the leather upper and leave a plain oxford style shoe, that would not attract suspicion from the occupied countries if the airman was to have bailed out over them

LB

The one guy in the first photo with the P-47 second from right I believe is one of the Aces , name eludes me right now , but the '47 alo looks to be one of the Aces birds as it has some kill markings on it too .....................................

The 2nd is some crew from a flak damaged B26.

Hi,

Here an another photo of the B-26 showed above with the full crew. The B-26 was from the 323rd BG of the 8th Air Force before to be assigned to the 9th Air Force, IX BC on October 16, 1943. All the men wear a helmet M-1 which some have the front part cut. The paint on the front is a 8 in a cercle with wings on each side.

Look at the RAF observer parachute. The man on the right wear a dinghy pack Type C attached to it.

MB

323rd_10.jpg

doinworkinvans

Wow - thats alot of flight gear?? Were those cut away helmets authorized before the issue of flak helmets?!

How did they do that?

Thanks for sharing this!

doinworkinvans

Also interestingly enough, thats the same plane picture as I shared at the beggining of this thread! It looks like the photo I shared they are obviously posing for it. Maybe a promo photo saying how the flak gear was appreciated :D

An another close up photo of two crew members of the 323rd BG wearing a M-1 helmet and an experimental Wilkinson Flak suit. This photo comes from the Mighty Eighth War Manual by Roger A. Freeman. We can see here the paint on the steel helmets, the same as show above.

Mathieu

323rd_11.jpg

This photo shows the1st Lt. Hugh B. Roper crew in front of the B-24D "Exterminator" from the 330th BS, 93rd BG, 8th AF in Febrary 1944.

The flight gear is composed of sheepskin flying suits (A-3 trousers and B-3 jackets), A-2 jackets, A-4 summer flying suit, B-6 and A-8 flying helmets, B-2 flying cap, garrison hat, A-6 flying boots, M-1 helmets, B-3 Mae Wests, seat parachute, MKVII goggles, AN-6501 aviator's bag, A-4 briefing case ...

It looks like they are holding their helmets and goggles. Great color photo. They have both B3 & B4 mae wests. Love those B3 jackets!! Thanks for sharing the photo.

doinworkinvans

This looks to be an action shot. What is that device on his wrist? And what is that on his pants coming up from his boots? That little zig-zag pattern?

Also it would appear to me that there would not be a wide range to shoot from that position, almost straight down! You're window for oppurtunity would be slim!

B-24-gunner.jpg

doinworkinvans

It looks like they are holding their helmets and goggles. Great color photo. They have both B3 & B4 mae wests. Love those B3 jackets!! Thanks for sharing the photo.

Yea those are def goggles and helmets, but over their shoulders...

On his wrist are what I believe are the connectors for the electrically heated "bunny suit". You can see the zig-zag heating elements on his leg.

Hey sabre is that your "blue bunny"? I have one very similar with an inspection tag still on it. They are extremely hard to come by these days and most are badly moth bit.

Here is a nice picture. All the men are named on the back. Notice the M4A2 helmet. It looks as if the ear flaps have been cut off. There is no end to the field modifications these men did to their equipment. That is one thing that makes collecting these pictures so much fun.

Steve

post-5349-0-74691300-1380234604.jpg

post-5349-0-38126400-1380234617.jpg