USS Princeton Patch (CVS-37)

Militiaman

Johnny Signor

Probably a Tiger cruise type as suggested ....................................., unless it signifies a "specific" Squadron's design...................................

I tend to think it is just a variation of the patch used when they were a cvs. I have seen it a couple times before. When the Princeton was a CV their patch also had a tiger on it. Once it became an LPH the tiger was removed. Anyway, I believe it was a CVS for just a few short years in the late 50's and this is prob the patch they wore then. Besides, I have been on several tiger cruises and I can't remember making a patch for the occasion. Just my thoughts - Jeff

I tend to think it is just a variation of the patch used when they were a cvs. I have seen it a couple times before. When the Princeton was a CV their patch also had a tiger on it. Once it became an LPH the tiger was removed. Anyway, I believe it was a CVS for just a few short years in the late 50's and this is prob the patch they wore then. Besides, I have been on several tiger cruises and I can't remember making a patch for the occasion. Just my thoughts - Jeff

Are you talking about the patch below? I have had and seen other tiger cruise patches.

$(KGrHqMOKogE6ekolrj5BOoQEZlJ)Q~~60_35.J

Patchcollector

Besides, I have been on several tiger cruises and I can't remember making a patch for the occasion. Just my thoughts - Jeff

There are many Tiger Cruise patches out there.Here are a few Tiger Cruise patches that I found in a Google search.Having said that,I tend to agree that this is probably a variation of the CVS patch that CUBUSMC wrote about,as all the Tiger Cruise patches that I have seen have "Tiger Cruise" written on them.

I do have a question though;does anyone know when the Navy started offering Tiger Cruises ?

post-13386-0-59885100-1376601445.jpg

post-13386-0-59937600-1376601450.jpg

post-13386-0-48527500-1376601458.jpg

post-13386-0-36214300-1376601477.jpg

PC this is what I could find on the origin of Tiger Cruises.

The term "Tiger Cruise" comes from the Navy's PR name for dependents' cruises, which is Operation Tiger. While they're great for dependents (close family and friends only) and Navy PR, they're a real pain and distraction for most sailors, as they tend to be at the end of a deployment, and all you want to do is get home and decompress instead of babysitting your relatives.

Think of it as "bring your family to work" day, only in the case of Tiger Cruises, they get to actually ride aboard with you.

As for the origin, there's really no information; having been stationed at the Pentagon, I can tell you that such names are produced all the time from the imaginations of the people who generate such programs. I've seen tactical maps with names of strategic objectives named for a sailor's favorite port bars.

If one had to guess though, knowing how sailors think, the only thing that comes to mind is the movie "Operation Petticoat" (Cary Grant, Tony Curtis), which has the fictional submarineUSS Sea Tiger carrying refugees and several buxom Navy nurses aboard in the South Pacific during WWII. That movie has all of the elements of a traditional Tiger Cruise.
Another answer.
When I was in the Navy (1962-83), we called them "dependents cruises."
My guess is that the "tiger" in "Operation Tiger Cruise" was selected
arbitrarily in much the same way as certain other operation orders
(oporders) are named. I've emailed a couple old shipmates who might
know if there's a different answer and will post it here if I learn of
it.

I believe CUBUSMC is on the right track. The Princeton carried the “CVS -37” designation from January 1954 to March 1959.

Here is a photo of the cover of a cruise book for the Princeton currently for sale On E-Bay:

post-8013-0-15263300-1376605774.jpg

It is for the Far East Cruise from July 1957 - February 1958.

Squadrons on board were VS-38 and HS-8. This may be a variation of a CVS-37 patch for that cruise. Note the emphasis on tigers. Cruise books for the 1954 - 1955, 1956 and the second 1958 deployment did not have this feature.

Princeton deployed on a “Far West Then Far East” cruise from November 1954 to May 1955.

Squadrons on board were VS-37, VS-23 HS-4 and VC-3.

Princeton deployed on a “Far Eastern Cruise” in 1956. I did not have access to this cruise book.

Princeton had a second deployment in 1958, a “Far East Cruise” from June 1958 - December 1958. Squadrons on board were VS-23 and HS-4.

I did not find documentation for any other deployment .

I did not find squadron patches matching this design, but the patch does have representations of the S2F Tracker and helos that were aboard during that time period.

I did not find any specific reference to this patch identifying it.

The patch gurus can pin down the manufacture period better than I can and can probably give an opinion if the patch is worth the $150.

Hope this is of some value.

Larry

USS Princeton was designated CVS37 Jan 01, 1954 and re-designated LPH5 in Mar 02, 1959. The first Princeton was named after the revolutionary war battle of Princeton. The first and second aircraft carriers (CVL23/ CV23) were christened by the wife of the President of Princeton University whose mascot is the Princeton Tiger. Supposedly, a service flag that flew aboard the first carrier still resides in the University Chapel. There are many references to servicemen aboard the carrier affectionately called "Tigers" in various publications.

USS Princeton was designated CVS37 Jan 01, 1954 and re-designated LPH5 in Mar 02, 1959. The first Princeton was named after the revolutionary war battle of Princeton. The first and second aircraft carriers (CVL23/ CV23) were christened by the wife of the President of Princeton University whose mascot is the Princeton Tiger. Supposedly, a service flag that flew aboard the first carrier still resides in the University Chapel. There are many references to servicemen aboard the carrier affectionately called "Tigers" in various publications.

Thats cool.Could not figure out my they used the Tiger.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info guys!

Well, I ended up buying the patch.

It sat on e-bay for a while and I decided I'd send him an offer for $75 including shipping. My offer was accepted and it's now on the way to my collection!

I'm excited to get it.

Rob.

The patch arrived and is now in the collection.

While I was putting the patch in the riker it became obvious the tiger was striking at the submarine off the bow. This makes sense because under the CVS-37 designation the Princeton was classified as an anti-submarine warfare support aircraft carrier.

ALL_zps8c753823.jpg

Thanks for this info!

Now I understand why my Grandfather called his friends from the Princeton his "tiger buddies". I always thought it was inference to a squadron he flew with, and could not find one that was "tiger" related. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Rob.