What type of mini-series do you think would be cool?

ryksem

I would love to see the book "And If I Perish - Front line Nurses in WWII" made into a mini-series. The book follows them from landing in the first wave of D-Day in North Africa thru the end of the war. It would sure be an eye-opener to a LOT of people about what women actually went thru during the war.

...Kat

I'd like to see this one produced also!

I think that a mini-series about the 1st Cavalry Division during the Vietnam war would be pretty good. I always like to think about the things like willysmb44 pointed out, the gear needed to make it, vehicles, landscapes, etc.

I know that HBO was going to make "1776" (McCullough) into a miniseries - which follows the campaigns of George Washington, but I have not heard anything about it for a couple years. The Revolutionary War is grossly underrepresented, and I think it needs to be addressed.

A miniseries about the War of 1812 or the Mexican War would also be interesting.

I also like someone's idea about the Harlem Hell Fighters - that would have a lot of potential as well.

• 3 months later...

I would like to see a mini series based on the book "Those Devils in Baggy Pants" by Ross Carter, a 504th Vet who was in Sicilyto the Bulge. I think that would be great as Band of Brothers made everyone envy the 101 but those guys were still in the U.S. when the 82nd was fighting in Italy!

I totally agree! "Those Devils in Baggy Pants" is largely regarded as one of the best WWII memoirs.

Also, how has no one made a movie or miniseries about the life of combat photographers? Robert Capa and Norm Hatch both lived extraordinary lives and survived some of WWII's most vicious battles, all while unarmed and while preserving the history of the fights with photos and videos of what they saw in the heat of the fighting.

I think a good miniseries would be about the Big Red One in WWII because they went from North Africa to Germany and pretty much every major battle in Europe and Africa they were there.

-Dave

• 4 months later...

I would LOVE to see a series on the Australian involvement in the American Civil War.

Apparently there were some Aussies who fought alongside the Confederates.

There was a Confederate ship/monitor which moored at a port in Melbourne.

willysmb44

Also, how has no one made a movie or miniseries about the life of combat photographers? Robert Capa and Norm Hatch both lived extraordinary lives and survived some of WWII's most vicious battles, all while unarmed and while preserving the history of the fights with photos and videos of what they saw in the heat of the fighting.

I agree, and would go further to say that showing civilian and military press coverage of all types (for example, following the 12 AG's press camp through the ETO) would be a great series, in that it would not only show portions of the history itself, but also the effect it had on the people who covered it without carrying weapons...

danangdave

I'm reading a book called Charlie Company: What Vietnam Did To Us and I think it would make a good series, they talked to the vets like they did for Band of Brothers and I feel like it would be very good.

@warguy- yeah I wish history channel would actually make some documentaries sometime instead of the same shows they got on all the time now. military channel at my house only has WW2 shows, which are interesting but it's always the same ones everyday.

yes i agree with the above comment.

nearly everthing is about ww2.

history channel is full of ww2 or hitler documentaries .

amazon war dvd section is mostley ww2.

go to any book shop the military section is 90% ww2 books.

go to the library military section again mostley ww2.

go to military fairs mostly ww2 stuff for sale.

go to living history events mostly ww2 germans.

and now another ww2 mini series

allthough there was excellent vietnam documentary on hc recently which is now on dvd called " vietnam lost films"

why cant we have more films like this or hollywood starts making more vietnam films like platoon or fmj?

even oliver stone seems to have given up on his new vietnam film .

Hey danangdave

I agree with you 100%

I also feel the same way about the Korean War

Doesn't get the profile either

The Allies fought just as hard

Sacrificed their lives as well

I guess M*A*S*H has enough repeats on TV to make do.

Mini series;

American Civil War

Armor or TD crew

US Engineer unit (from D-Day to VE Day)

Combat photographers from WWII to Viet Nam

Canadians at Walcheren

Commando units in WWII

Belgian Brigade Piron in WWII

Just to name a few ....

Erwin

I agree, and would go further to say that showing civilian and military press coverage of all types (for example, following the 12 AG's press camp through the ETO) would be a great series, in that it would not only show portions of the history itself, but also the effect it had on the people who covered it without carrying weapons...

Hey Lee,

I could play my father and drive a CCKW. :lol:

Bob

Dogs in the military.

There used to be a series about (I think) a German Shepherd Dog called "Joe"(?).

I think the series was made in the 70s or so.

Anyone remembers that one?

Erwin

Run Joe Run I believe it was called, 1970-72 era. R Lee Ermy had a show on military dogs recently on the Sportsman man network. I worked the nights it was on.

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

ok, how about the unsung heroes, the mechanics who kept the birds in the air, the tanks and trucks rolling along.

ok, how about the unsung heroes, the mechanics who kept the birds in the air, the tanks and trucks rolling along.

To be fair, I doubt turning of wrenches would make for much drama. And I ran an Ordnance Company in the Army.

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

To be fair, I doubt turning of wrenches would make for much drama. And I ran an Ordnance Company in the Army.

lol,

they should make a show called "The HELMET GURU'S TALK SHOW" with your host World renowned Helmet Connoisseure SabreJet , also starring Bugme, Doyler, and special guest and technical advisor Justin, with special appearances by comedian and camoflage guru Kammo man.

directed and produced by Bob Hudson

Garandomatic

Not a mini-series, but regarding the war dogs, have you seen War Dogs of the Pacific? Ran on the Military channel a few years ago. I liked it so much I bought it on DVD and I'm not even that much of a dog person.

I think I posted this on another similar topic, but if it is true that Spielberg is going to do a BOB-type series for all four branches, they have GOT to base it off of LAST STAND OF THE TIN CAN SAILORS.

Hornfischer wove enough back story into each man, whether he survived or not, that it would connect you to them. It could start early, just like BOB, focus on a few guys, have some early action with a few that saw earlier combat, especially the Johnston. Split the battle into a couple of episodes, have one toward the end that covers the rescue. There'd be enough heartbreak when guys like Tullio Serafini and Paul Carr don't make it that there wouldn't be a dry eye.