PASGT Kevlar Helmet with Major Insignia

anton67

I picked up this helmet from a girl in Florida.

She says it was her grandfathers and he was in Iraq.

I am guessing OIF.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Does it look like it was an issued helmet, used in OIF?

Also, what about the goggles - likely issued with to the soldier or a later add on?

Does her story seem plausible?

Thanks in advance.

post-63438-0-55840200-1376440341.jpg

post-63438-0-36635800-1376440348.jpg

I picked up this helmet from a girl in Florida.

She says it was her grandfathers and he was in Iraq.

I am guessing OIF.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Does it look like it was an issued helmet, used in OIF?

Also, what about the goggles - likely issued with to the soldier or a later add on?

Does her story seem plausible?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's a standard PASGT with a 3-color desert cover and tan camo band as was used in the first couple of years of both OEF and OIF. The goggles are the Sun, Wind & Dust Goggles, which were also standard at the time, although they were being replaced by 2003.

It looks like a name tape was removed from the camo band, but otherwise this could easily have been worn in OIF I or II.

Nice helmet but her grandfather in OIF?

OIF began ten years ago and included plenty of Guardsmen and Reservists, who's ranks tend to include older soldiers, so it's entirely possible. The Major could have even been retired and recalled to active duty.

SergeantMajorGray

OIF began ten years ago and included plenty of Guardsmen and Reservists, who's ranks tend to include older soldiers, so it's entirely possible. The Major could have even been retired and recalled to active duty.

You guys are right I guess it is possible it just sounded odd when I first read it.

Oh BTW the cover was off when I got it in the mail. I put it back on and had all of the cover straps over the head band. I did this because my buddy wore his that way in OIF. Anyway I looked at them more closely and the front two were under the head band. I can tell because they are in good condition. The rear straps were over the head band and I can tell because the head band has areas that are clean under the straps. Also the straps are dirty.

Anyway I returned them to their original settings.

Anyone here whose ever been issued a PASGT will tell you that the velcro was secured under the sweatband. No questions asked.

• 11 months later...

Yes, it's a standard PASGT with a 3-color desert cover and tan camo band as was used in the first couple of years of both OEF and OIF. The goggles are the Sun, Wind & Dust Goggles, which were also standard at the time, although they were being replaced by 2003.

It looks like a name tape was removed from the camo band, but otherwise this could easily have been worn in OIF I or II.

i always see these goggles and people are saying things like "vietnam dated 1974" which im guessing that every pair was not infact made in 1974 and the 1974 was the year the style came around like most things? ( m1917 helmet, m1942 field jacket m965 field jacket, m1956 web gear so on...) so how exaxtly do you date them?

You are right about the date on the goggles, could have been made in the 70s or 80s there might be another molded in date on the sides, also i think the thick foam padding was added at a certain date too almost like an upgrade, but i dont know any of this for sure, i dont think alot has been researched and recorded about these goggles, maybe some goggle collectors can help, also im sure there are clues in old quartermaster supply catalogs and things of that nature waiting to be researched....mike

You are right about the date on the goggles, could have been made in the 70s or 80s there might be another molded in date on the sides, also i think the thick foam padding was added at a certain date too almost like an upgrade, but i dont know any of this for sure, i dont think alot has been researched and recorded about these goggles, maybe some goggle collectors can help, also im sure there are clues in old quartermaster supply catalogs and things of that nature waiting to be researched....mike

sounds more likely, im just tired of seeing "vietnam dated goggles"

CHASEUSA11B

sounds more likely, im just tired of seeing "vietnam dated goggles"

I believe on the Vietnam eras goggles the strap attaches through the lens. I don't recall the date it changed but that's one sign of a later issued pair.

I was in from 2002--2005 and was issued a few pairs of the sand wind and dust goggles. Prior to shipping out to Iraq in 2004 we were all issued Wiley x goggles do none of us wore the SWD but we all had them.

Do you mean like this one?

I suppose you could have the cover attached in that fashion but it's going to be less comfortable. IMHO, a sensible Soldier (or any Service member) would attach it to the webbing. I cicrumvented all of that cover nonsense by simply painting mine a sand color :) I will try to post a picture when I get to Milwaukee next time.

Best,

Peter

I believe on the Vietnam eras goggles the strap attaches through the lens. I don't recall the date it changed but that's one sign of a later issued pair.

I was in from 2002--2005 and was issued a few pairs of the sand wind and dust goggles. Prior to shipping out to Iraq in 2004 we were all issued Wiley x goggles do none of us wore the SWD but we all had them.

you are correct for the most part. those were the 1960's goggles but the war technically ended in 75 making 1974 model goggles possible to be there VERY late in the war but i think the older ones marked 1974 have green straps and the newer ones have black straps?

We should start a special thread for the goggles, very interesting....ive found many pairs over the years, some had green straps some had black, some had the extra foam padding, i think i had some that had 1950s dates too, i will have to look at what i have, i think i might have 2-4 pairs still in a box somewhere....mike

While the Vietnam Conflict "technically" ended in 1975 they stopped sending combat troops over there at the end of 72 and early 73. By 1974 it was a Vietnamese war with our only involvement being advisers, graves registration, medical and other specialty units used in our draw down. Any equipment dated 1974 had a very unlikely chance of being involved in the remaining years of the South Vietnamese war. Any equipment in South Vietnam at it's fall in 1975 was lost. Although I understand that some of the equipment is now available to current day collectors (buyer beware).

While the Vietnam Conflict "technically" ended in 1975 they stopped sending combat troops over there at the end of 72 and early 73. By 1974 it was a Vietnamese war with our only involvement being advisers, graves registration, medical and other specialty units used in our draw down. Any equipment dated 1974 had a very unlikely chance of being involved in the remaining years of the South Vietnamese war. Any equipment in South Vietnam at it's fall in 1975 was lost. Although I understand that some of the equipment is now available to current day collectors (buyer beware).

i said possibly not probably :P