VP-31 USN G1 Jacket

History Man

Was able to find this G1 jacket earlier today.

I do not collect VN era items but the stencil is what stopped me from passing it up, not to mention the condition. The leather is very supple, the waistband and cuffs are 100%, the zipper works (made by Talon), and the lining is also in great shape (sadly, the spec label is gone). The stencil is what made me stop, it is stenciled to VP-31 which was a training squadron during VN, they trained both US and foreign pilots.

Let me know what you think.

Philip

post-25965-0-82366800-1376439816.jpg

post-25965-0-10642300-1376439823.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
VP_Association

VP-31 was the west coast patrol squadron replacement air group (RAG) unit. It was based at NAS Moffett Field, CA. This is where people assigned to fly and maintain P-2s and P-3s on the west coast were sent for advanced training on Neptunes and Orions. VP-31 was disestablished a few years ago and all patrol squadron advanced training for both coasts was consolidated at VP-30 at NAS Jacksonville, FL. I was temporarily assigned to the VP-30 parachute loft in the summer of 1980 while I was waiting for my P-3 class to begin. During that time I saw lots of stencilled and numbered flight jackets like that. They were intended for temporary issue to students. They were accounted for and you had to give them back when you were done with them. The number is just an inventory number. Hope this helps.