Armalite AR-5A survival rifle

Leatherwringer

Leatherwringer

Thought I would share some pictures of this cool toy/replica.

It is the Armalite AR-5A takedown survival rifle made by Lindberg Products

it has a detachable magazine and the bolt when slid back actually cocks the hammer

I did some searching but could not find out much about this plastic gun...

any help is appreciated..

and stories if you had one as a kid are mandatory :D

P1180611_zps4201cdc7.jpg

P1180612_zps5ebe9b6f.jpg

P1180614_zpsb077402a.jpg

P1180615_zps1fc85250.jpg

P1180617_zps256a00ca.jpg

P1180616_zpsc5dc820f.jpg

With this level of detail, I am wondering if this was a training aid rather than a kid's toy.

The cheapest way to manufacture this as a toy would have been to have made it one piece.

Leatherwringer

well I finally found out a little more....an old sale ad (maby for ebay)

Lindberg Model Kit Fairchild Ar-5 Survival Rifle W/ Box Ray Gaedke Armalite Paul For Sale
lindberg-model-kit-fairchild-ar-5-surviv

Rare Vintage PAUL LINDBERG Model Kit
Strategic Air Command
Fairchild AR-5 Survival Rifle
w/ Original Box (artwork by Ray Gaedke)
- Estate Fresh - Sold With ! - This fantastic 1950s model kit comes to you estate fresh from an old Jersey City, New Jersey home we recently liquidated (one of those types of houses where generations never threw anything away). Found packed away the basement workshop, this lot has sat undisturbed for decades.
It’s the Strategic Air Command Fairchild AR-5 Survival Rifle by Paul Lindberg. Kit No. G201. The original retail price was a mere $2.98! The kit is complete with all parts intact and in excellent condition. I’m gonna dare you to find a cleaner example of this nearly impossible-to-find model kit! Stock and barrel are nice and straight. Faint play wear. The model kit comes in its original box (20” by 8-1/4” by 2-1/8”). One end of the box his dented/warped, but it’s all there. The end flap on that side is not attached, but present. The clear “cellovision” plastic window is all there as well, but somewhat unattached and bowed as well. Fantastic and colorful graphics on the box of an S.A.C. airmen using his armalite rifle after his plane’s been downed behind enemy lines! Image painted by Ray Gaedke. If it doesn't sell, it's going right up into my little toy collection.
I'm not an expert on items like this, so I've included over 20 large images below for your grading needs.
This lot will certainly make a splendid addition to any vintage model kit or Vietnam/Korean War era collection.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Lindberg plastic toys and models as a kid. Never saw anything like this before and I believe it must be very rare. I have attended many collectible toy shows and have never seen or heard anything like it.

Here's a story I never get tired of telling; several years ago I went to an estate sale, I spotted a plastic "gun stock" on the floor and when I picked it up I knew what I had. I held it up and asked "How Much?", "eh, 5 Bucks" was the answer from the guy running the estate sale. I guess he didn't realize the weight and didn't know what the name "Armamlite" meant!

I have had one of those AR-5 Replicas since the 1970's, when it magically appeared in a box of my stuff at my parents house. Dad probablly found it cheap and put it in the box and forgot about it. I wrote the SAC Historian about it but never got an answer. Mine looks just like your's, it looks like it was not a kit they way it was assembled, the stock is a heavier plastic than model kits and the butt cap is a flexible plastic that snaps on.

Thanks Orgone....great story! Do you have any pics?

Sorry Leatherwringer, I have no pictures as I gave the AR-7 to my older son years ago as I already had one, I bought my first Armalite AR-7 brand new in 1971 for $41.95 at Leslie Edelman's Gun store in Fairfield, NJ. I still have that one, in the box.