WWII USMC Chevron Stiching

James Shelton

I think that was just a manufacturers variation. I've seen lots of USMC chevrons stiched just like that. Your example does look like the workmanship was a bit sloppy. Maybe this was produced overseas.

Looks like it was sewn on a bit hastily but otherwise that is a very common style of thread style I've seen on many Usmc coats.

LF

craig_pickrall

It looks like it maybe a hand made chevron. Look at how thin the top two stripes are compared to the bottom stripe and rocker. The middle of the rocker is really chubby.

James Shelton

Learning to navigate here. After the Iwo Jima battle I think the 5th Div. returned to Pendleton. He was at Okinawa during occupation.

post-128653-0-75122400-1376437067.jpg

Did the Marine later join FMF-Pac Supply?

This is am Awesome coat, you don't see FMF-Pac patched coats often.

The Fifth MarDiv after Iwo went back to Hawaii, from Hawaii they went to Sasebo, Japan for Occupation duties in late 1945 and returned back to Pendleton in early 1946 where they were disbanded.

LF

James Shelton

It looks like it maybe a hand made chevron. Look at how thin the top two stripes are compared to the bottom stripe and rocker. The middle of the rocker is really chubby.

Yes it does look hand made but I've seen similar ones also. I'm beginning to wonder if they were made aboard ship.

James Shelton

Did the Marine later join FMF-Pac Supply?

This is am Awesome coat, you don't see FMF-Pac patched coats often.

The Fifth MarDiv after Iwo went back to Hawaii, from Hawaii they went to Sasebo, Japan for Occupation duties in late 1945 and returned back to Pendleton in early 1946 where they were disbanded.

LF

Don't know. He didn't talk about it much. Besides telling me that he ran communication spooled wire on Iwo. When he was receiving

radiation treatments on a malignant neck tumor 1986, he said it reminded him of Iwo again. The smell of burning flesh.

Gotta say you guys are awesome. I've been trying to put together 8 shadow boxes for family and friends the last year. I want to try and be

as accurate as possible and use vintage items. Didn't realize it would be such a daunting task. Have learned a lot though. Getting real

familiar with the SF-180 forms for records. When I receive his records I'll know a lot more.

It's great to find a site where people are interested and really helpful. Collectively, a wealth of knowledge.

Jim

Always here to help! Great that you bought it directly from the vet!

Please update us when you receive the records.

Good Luck!

Leonardo

Based on the materials and stitching, I would say those are standard US factory-made USMC chevrons. Yes, construction is a bit "sloppy", but it's unlikely those exact materials and stitching method could be duplicated so precisely by someone making them aboard ship or overseas.