REMEMBER GRENADA 1983

BIGGREG

This August for the 3rd Anniversary of REMEMBER we did a Reenactment of Operation Urgent Fury portraying 82nd AIRBORNE and 2-75 RANGER.

Hope you will enjoy iit

post-64352-0-00227200-1376314197.jpg

Very cool indeed!

I never knew the OD Jungles were used in Grenada? Just remember the pics of everybody in BDUs, Original heavy weight BDUs.

Timo

In Grenada there were 2 units that used the "old school" OG107 the RANGERs and some units of the 508th (82nd) the difference is that the Rangers still had the M1 steel helmet and the paratroopers of the 508 had the KPOT..

THANK YOU all for your comments... :-)

Fender Rhodes

In Grenada there were 2 units that used the "old school" OG107 the RANGERs and some units of the 508th (82nd) the difference is that the Rangers still had the M1 steel helmet and the paratroopers of the 508 had the KPOT..

THANK YOU all for your comments... :-)

2-505 wore OG-107s as well, but they were issued after they had been on the island for a week. Same with the 508. All 82nd units deployed to Grenada in either BDUs, woodland RDFs or woodland ERDLs.

Also, there is something not quite right with the woodland helmet cover on the M16A1-armed "Ranger" in post #9...

Thank you for your post Fender i did not know about the 505...and the cover of the Helmet it's me... it's an experimental cover in BDU dated 1983.. ;) for M1 helmets.

Are you sure 2 of the guys aren't USMC? (The Army would NEVER let you roll the BDU sleeves with the underside showing. That was a Marine thing. The Army had their own way, which was actually done for NBC reasons. I learned that on Day 3 of Basic.) LOL

Pretty impressive. I had no idea about the OG-107's still being used outside of the Guard/Reserves at that time. The "Rangers" lack of gas mask, and use of repelling gloves, would be very accurate for that time. (I have no idea why, but Rangers & some Airborne Infantry never seemed to have masks, even up to the early 90's.)

BTW: One of the legacys of that operation, was how much the US government had to pay-out for the repair/replacement of doors. Seems that GI's & Marines felt the need to kick in almost every door they encountered, while looking for Cuban troops.

Fender Rhodes

Are you sure 2 of the guys aren't USMC? (The Army would NEVER let you roll the BDU sleeves with the underside showing. That was a Marine thing. The Army had their own way, which was actually done for NBC reasons. I learned that on Day 3 of Basic.) LOL

I have plenty of pics of 82nd troopers on Grenada with their sleeves rolled both ways...

Fender is right, I have a Japanese book about the operation and in it there are lots of photos showing plenty of Army folks have their sleeves rolled up 'Marine/USN' style. I agree that later on, you likely wouldn't have seen that, though. I, too, had it beat into me how to roll my sleeves 'Army style' when I went through training to get the 'gold bar of obedience'. I noticed that the USAF people I worked alongside fromt ime to time did the same.

I wore ACUs for a very breif time before I resigned from the reserves in 2006 and was told several times there was no authorization to roll up sleeves on those at all. Many of us were pretty disappointed at hearing that.