Women at war!

Sabrejet

Great pictures!

There is one book on my "need to buy list" that is titled "Sisters in Arms: British and American Women Pilots During World War II".

The pictures of the anti-aircraft women are great. Both the British and American AA women were well known for their skills.

I believe one of the pictures is post WWII. The woman has on the modern Air Force SSI and has the cut-out collar insignia that was introduced in the 50's.

The picture of the WAACs rescued after their troop ship was torpedoed off North Africa in Feb 1943 is a great one. That picture shows that women who were not nurses did in fact serve overseas and were also in harm's way.

....Kat

WAAC.jpg

Yes Kat...I noticed that a post-war photo sneaked in there too!

Glad you saw it too! I was wondering if I was correct in my thinking.

I do think the British were far advanced in their thinking about using women during the war. Y'all let the women do so much more than the Americans. Thanks for realizing our potential! :love::)

...Kat

We had a small population back then Kat. With all the available menfolk drafted into the services, women were needed to work in the fields and factories etc in their place!

We had a small population back then Kat. With all the available menfolk drafted into the services, women were needed to work in the fields and factories etc in their place!

Ian,

They also worked in anti-aircraft batteries, ferrying planes to the front lines, all sorts of ways not just in the fields and factories. It is true that y'all were a small population but the women did so much more than just factory work.

....Kat

Ian,

They also worked in anti-aircraft batteries, ferrying planes to the front lines, all sorts of ways not just in the fields and factories. It is true that y'all were a small population but the women did so much more than just factory work.

....Kat

For sure Kat...I was just citing the obvious examples of women working outside of the military. We also had a female organisation known as the Land Army.